Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-27-2016, 10:21 AM

Question 17 Rem vs 17-223 vs 17ppc???

I've have a 17 Rem in M700 BDL that I bought used about 6 years now. I wish I had found the 17's earlier in life. Love em. I use the 17 for groundhogs mostly, and coyotes upon occasion.

I believe it is getting to the point that it will be needing a new barrel and wondering if any of you could share your experience in the differences or advantages of any of the 3 17's that are in the title line. A 9 twist stainless barrel is what I have in mind in order to shoot the 30 Kindler golds. Thanks in advance for your input. WD
Old 10-27-2016, 12:00 PM

Talking Welcome aboard first of all!

I have 3 17ppc's and really like the cartridge.I'll speak here about the 9 or 10 twist version.Of course 9 twist is the way to go as you've stated.Mine is a 10 and it shoots very well,but I live above 6200'so that helped.It groups the 30 Gold very nicely at 500yards.I've also shot it at 1000 yards and while I can hit the target the energy is down to 112 ft lbs.I love my Neil Jones dies,they are wonderful for forming brass and great for this caliber or any of its cousins.I do recommend them if you go this way.While the 17-223 is a cool cartridge the 17 Rem you had is the reason it went away.Nothing wrong with a custom/rebarreled
17Rem,especially if you like a repeater when out after coyotes.I guess it depends if you still have brass for the 17Rem.A 17Predator or 17-204 can do what the 17ppc does and can keep the same bolt face and stay as a repeater.The reason for the 17ppc was to really see what could be done with the Berger 37,of course
vld's don't do their best beyond 3300fps.My 17ppc could achieve 3900fps with the 37's but colloidal graphite had to be swabbed down the bore each shot
(7 twist).I guess after all this long winded reply it all boils down to your needs and what you will ultimately use this rifle for.I never could decide on one that's why I have most all of the 17's.Watch out its addicting
Matt
Old 10-27-2016, 05:55 PM
Supporting Member

Ol' WD, I'll tell you right now there's not a lick of performance difference between them. I must say though, that the 17TAC isn't on your list and it should be. Long neck, brass made from 223, blistering velocities with accuracy to boot. The 17-223 will be much harder on the throat with the short neck and shallow shoulder.

Adam
Old 10-27-2016, 06:19 PM
Supporting Member

I would,eep it a 17Rem. I don't see that big of a performance jump to go wildcat. I know brass is hard to get at times for 17Rem, but when you are looking for it, you can always find it.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:46 PM
Supporting Member

Default ditto

What Harmon said. I've owned every cartridge mentioned in this thread and frankly you can throw a 250fps blanket over the lot of them. Everyone talks about 17rem brass, I've never had a hard time finding it. It's not like you need a lot of it, 200 rounds will probably shoot your barrel out. Now, if you just want something different, don't mind case forming, fire forming, and pricey dies then pick one. If you pick right it might feed and perform as well as the 17 Rem...pick wrong...??
Old 10-27-2016, 08:15 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab_bentley View Post
Ol' WD, I'll tell you right now there's not a lick of performance difference between them. I must say though, that the 17TAC isn't on your list and it should be. Long neck, brass made from 223, blistering velocities with accuracy to boot. The 17-223 will be much harder on the throat with the short neck and shallow shoulder.

Adam
Adam, do I know anyone who has a good reamer for the 17Rem or 17TAC that is capable of doing an artistic pillar and bedding job too?? (Should I decide to go one of those ways). WD
Old 10-27-2016, 09:12 PM

I have all three and Chuck Miller has it right go with 17 Rem. my 17/223 is and HR Ultra Wildcat. The 17 PPC is on a retired bench rifle with PPC bolt face. go with the 17 Rem. PPC will be more expensive dies and brass with marginal performance improvement. like buying a luxury car 50 percent more for 10 percent improvement
Old 10-27-2016, 10:19 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyleWD View Post
Adam, do I know anyone who has a good reamer for the 17Rem or 17TAC that is capable of doing an artistic pillar and bedding job too?? (Should I decide to go one of those ways). WD
Boy, you know I think you might.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:26 PM

I reckon that the old 17 Remington can do it all for most purposes. Performance is pretty good relatively speaking, brass is around, and it can be made to feed in a repeater.

I started with a BDL when they first came out in 17 Remington, just had to have one. Remington had a bad run of barrels, I shipped the rifle in, after the time quote for repair, I had it shipped back minus the barrel. So I chambered up a 17 cal Shilen barrel on a No.1 that is ok.

A friend gave me a RCBS forming set, says 17 remington from 223. Well, the dies will, but abeit a little short on the formed case. Probably my own ineptness, but still are short. As said before, cases are around once you get past the resellers and find a fellow shooter.

PPC's are kinda like BR's, hard to feed in a repeater, not saying it cannot be done, but the hike has some uphill moments to be sure. PPC brass is always around, but can be pricey.........certainly not like 223 surplus stuff. 440-ish head as well which is a moot point in a No.1.

Guess I am old enough now to know that the ole performance glimmer in cartridges, is just that for me; as in who cares if it is sublight or uses less than 5 grains of powder. My shooting just is not that prolific living where I do. The case has to be special to me.......no one else really.

So now it becomes, ...........how does it make me feel?............I have not found a real good use for the 17 Bumble Bee .........but I have one. Kinda like some magic thing or something, has to make me smile in its own way. Some folks drive econo-cars for various reasons, I drive a Blue Devil; again for various reasons. I love that car on how it makes me feel when it runs; ie 10 years younger, when I take it into the dealership for service, I lose 10 years. But gotta have some pizzazz in life, keeps me thinking positive.

So I reckon I am saying, build what you think will make you smile. Try it, if it does not work, regroup and do it again. Life is short you know.

Rick
Old 10-28-2016, 01:32 PM

Default 17 Tactical

WyleWD; Welcom to Saubier. Keep it simple, do a 17 Tactical.
tons of brass your bolt face and action length are correct, it will feed, you'll love it. sgtg out