Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-16-2019, 09:38 PM

Default 17 WSM - Opinion, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post
If I already had the two rifles you mention, I doubt if I would have purchased my 17 WSM since I already have an HMR. I do like shooting lots of rounds and not have to worry about the brass.
This beings to mind a question. When I see comments regarding not having to worry about brass, by using the rimfires, do you fellows pick up your empties or leave them lying around the property owners pivots/fields ?
I know, when I stop shooting in the areas I pick up my rimfire
brass so it is not picked up and bail when they cut and bail. Bill K
Old 02-16-2019, 10:15 PM

Personally, I could never see the point of these expensive rimfires. For that price you could shoot a regular 223, and pick up the brass if you want. Or for that price you could shoot 9 or 10 22lr. If you're shooting 17AH then I'm guessing you reload already. What if you put the money towards a progressive press and shot the 17AH a lot more?

But like others have mentioned: if you want one, then get one.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:24 PM

When the 17 WSM first came out, I bought a couple of boxes of ammo just to keep the fire lit. The rifles at the time, did not interest me. Time passes.........

I got the bright idea of converting a Ruger No.1 to 17 WSM, I like the rifle style, and have all the tooling and barrel blanks............plus a stack of donor actions.

All the years of gunning around, it has never been about being practical. If I wanted one, I bought it or built it myself. The 17 WSM has some good points for the non reloader types. On the other hand, the 17 hornets out perform it and probably a bit cheaper if you buy components in bulk.

I have not heard a WSM's report, but suspect it is sharp. The cock on closing bolt gun did not do it for me, the Ruger two piece fussy bolt did not either, so rather than do a 40x, the No.1 will have to suffice for me.

Nothing about guns is referenced to money for me. It is how it makes me feel to try something new or build something new myself. I call it fire, some call it passion; who really cares; it is the real driving force.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:34 PM

Default 17 WSM - opinions, please

Nothing about guns is referenced to money for me. It is how it makes me feel to try something new or build something new myself. I call it fire, some call it passion; who really cares; it is the real driving force.[/quote]

Is that not the truth and it is what drives most of us, I believe. It is all in what you want to play with, more than what we really might need. Bill K
Old 02-16-2019, 10:55 PM

One could say I'm a fan............Got rid of my .17HMR and .17 Hornet.........never getting rid of my .17 WSM contender or Ruger.

I started a thread about the Ruger 77/17 WSM I own.

You can find it if you search for this:

17 WSM........long live the king

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 02-16-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:25 PM

Are the Ruger barrels threaded or fastened to the receiver in another manner?
Been considering the 17WSM because my main groundhog hunting area is rimfire only. Would prefer a barrel I chambered myself.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
Are the Ruger barrels threaded or fastened to the receiver in another manner?
Been considering the 17WSM because my main groundhog hunting area is rimfire only. Would prefer a barrel I chambered myself.

Threaded.........
Old 02-17-2019, 01:51 AM

I second the idea of you can never have enough guns....
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 02-17-2019, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
It is all in what you want to play with, more than what we really might need. Bill K
Ohh, I think the majority of use, if we're being honest that is, will admit, if "need" were a prerequisite before a new purchase, we'd all have a lot more free space in our gun safes.

And as my gunsmith often tells me, there's a lot worse things you could spend your money on.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:30 AM
Supporting Member

I own 2 Ruger 77/17's in 17 WSM and both are very good shooting rifles. I also own more than just a few CF 17 rifles that all have their place, but I do like the 17 WSM RF cartridge as it is also. Since I bought those two, my 77/17 17 HMR has been relegated to the back of the pile.

Count me as a 17 WSM fan......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine