Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-25-2019, 08:26 PM

Yeah I thought I would be cheap and just neck up 308. Kind of regretting that now. Pretty sure I'm going to try and square them up a bit, just not go crazy. If I was a smart I would have squared them at 30 caliber and wouldn't need to buy a 35 cal pilot.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 05-25-2019, 10:10 PM
Supporting Member

260- try blowing a couple out to 358 may come out ok. Don't trim before firing. Fire form without a bullet. I had some necks that were out on my 35 Whelen and they turned out ok.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:37 AM

260, After rereading your post, I would agree with ray h don't trim, But I would use a good stiff load with bullet to really move the brass, I do a lot of case forming (since I cant be satisfied with standard cartridges) and used to trim to spec length before fire forming, Just to find most cases actually shrink as they fill out, The day I realized this after converting 200 shiny new FC 223 cases to 7mm TCU they shrank from 1.750 to 1.710 after the first firing and my chamber is 1.794 I went and looked back at all the different cases I make and how many were way short gave me something to learn and do over.

Last edited by SEM; 05-26-2019 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:21 PM
Supporting Member

260- I forgot to add in the other post. If the necks are square on the 308's then it's in how you're necking up. In my Whelen I used an RCBS tapered expander and didn't take my time . Rotating the case during the neck up procedure may help too. Use a good lube, back in the day I used Red Rooster forming lube. Again if they were square to start with, they'll be square when fire formed.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:37 PM

If you neck up by pushing in an expander mandrel, keep an eye on run out. The wildcat's I've done this way came out straighter with a square case mouth. It might depend on your specific tooling, but I've had best luck with doing a few small steps vs one big one. A nice taper, polished finish and lube help.

If you are going to expand the cases by firing them with pistol powder and filler then it probably doesn't matter.

308 brass is cheap to experiment on--let us know what you come up with!
Old 05-27-2019, 01:55 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

There are some benchrest shooters with a Wilson trimmer who will shave the case head square and then turn the case and caseholder around to trim the neck to length and of course square.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn