Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2019, 06:37 PM
Supporting Member

I have PRO051 & 057 but bought them used and have no idea about manufacture date. I have 14 Dakota Predator/Varminter rifles and would put the quality of any of them against most any other custom built both in metal work and stocking. They all shot very well as they were from Dakota, but I have rebarreled several to chase my 20 cal fantasies
Old 07-28-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
I have PRO051 & 057 but bought them used and have no idea about manufacture date. I have 14 Dakota Predator/Varminter rifles and would put the quality of any of them against most any other custom built both in metal work and stocking. They all shot very well as they were from Dakota, but I have rebarreled several to chase my 20 cal fantasies
The one I am getting is in 20VT...being a 20cal fanatic, that is probably the only reason I was even interested in it. I want to say it is a 2 digit serial number, but cannot remember for sure...will know tomorrow! Thanks to all for the information.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:47 PM

Got the Dakota Predator in 20VT today. Serial #PR0072. It has really nice wood on it and definitely shoots. I shot 10 shots after getting it home...3 shots verifying where scope was set and then a 7 shot group after making a scope adjustment...all 7 can be covered easily with a dime.
I have pics but am just challenged enough on this site to not be able to download pics. If someone who is knowledgeable in posting pics on this site wants to PM me their email address, I can send them the pics and maybe they could post them. I would appreciate it but understand if one doesn't want to. Very happy with the rifle and thanks to all for supplying information. Thanks

I was able to create an album and have posted pics there...still can't seem to get pics loaded on the thread.

Gene

Last edited by Ganderson; 07-30-2019 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added text
Old 07-31-2019, 01:08 AM
Supporting Member

Was asked about a Kleinendorst type bolt disassembly tool for the Dakota Predator/Varminter. So FYI to anyone interested: The guy who actually makes them these days (or at least he was making them in 2011) is Carl Gingher, Gingher Engineering, RD 4, Tunkhannock, PA 18657; his phone # 570-836-1448. He's a really nice guy and very helpful. If you contact him, please tell him hello from me. Thanks, Joe
Old 07-31-2019, 02:06 AM
Supporting Member

Gunderson
Very nice looking furniture! The 20VT is my favorite PD cartridge.
Rider
Old 07-31-2019, 04:03 AM

Ganderson,

I viewed your photo album and your Dakota model was called the "Serious Predator" which included the heavy barrel and beavertail stock with the Monte Carlo style raised cheek rest. Just thought you might like to know in case the seller didn't mention it.

hemi
Old 07-31-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi View Post
Ganderson,

I viewed your photo album and your Dakota model was called the "Serious Predator" which included the heavy barrel and beavertail stock with the Monte Carlo style raised cheek rest. Just thought you might like to know in case the seller didn't mention it.

hemi
Thanks hemi, I had seen references to the "Serious" Predator and also saw reference to what someone called a "Prairie" Predator...I could not distinguish the differences and not much info from Dakota on the various models in the Predator line.
Were any of the Predators checkered from the factory or did people just have theirs checkered after purchased?
Old 07-31-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Was asked about a Kleinendorst type bolt disassembly tool for the Dakota Predator/Varminter. So FYI to anyone interested: The guy who actually makes them these days (or at least he was making them in 2011) is Carl Gingher, Gingher Engineering, RD 4, Tunkhannock, PA 18657; his phone # 570-836-1448. He's a really nice guy and very helpful. If you contact him, please tell him hello from me. Thanks, Joe
Just got off the phone with Carl...WOW is all I can say! Very nice gentleman to talk to...just super nice. He still has the bolt disassembly tools for sale and I ordered one from him...he is shipping it out today as well. If others that read this are in need of this tool, don't hesitate to give Carl a call...he will get you fixed up with one.

Joe, I told him you said hello and that you sent me his way...don't know how long it has been since you have spoken with him, but he remembered you immediately, so he certainly appreciated you sending me his way. Thanks

Gene
Old 07-31-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
Thanks hemi, I had seen references to the "Serious" Predator and also saw reference to what someone called a "Prairie" Predator...I could not distinguish the differences and not much info from Dakota on the various models in the Predator line.
Were any of the Predators checkered from the factory or did people just have theirs checkered after purchased?
Ganderson,
Dakota Arms over the years of producing the Predator/Varminter line has always offered a "Deluxe" sporter version that included upgraded wood and checkering both on the pistol grip and forearm. In a long ago published article the writer received a Serious Predator from Dakota for testing and evaluation. In the article he mentions he expected the rifle to be checkered on the pistol grip, but the rifle they sent him did not have checkering. So oddly some may have had it or possibly it was an extra cost option. Dakota Arms typically offers many optional features and upgrades on the various models they produce. Some seem to be reasonable in cost while others might come with "sticker shock".
As Smokin Joe mentioned, pricing for the Predator has always been a mystery to him. All I can add to that is the fact Dakota Arms has both raised and lowered the pricing over the years and changed up the model offerings.