Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-22-2022, 08:12 PM

Question Zastava Rifle

Folks ,
Anyone have any first hand expierence with this brand of rifles . I've got an opportunity to buy one in .243 and I've only seen pictures . I'm wondering about the accuracy and trigger .
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration .
Good shooting .
Soup
Old 02-23-2022, 12:52 PM
Supporting Member

I have a Rem 799 in 22 Hornet which has the Zastava action. I have shot it a little and worked the trigger a little and it is an OK rifle. I would describe it as a loose CZ. Accuracy was about 3/4" at 100 which is par for a decent factory Hornet and the trigger worked out pretty well, too. If the rifle is priced right it would probably be a decent hunting gun. If you can get the bore scoped that would be worth doing. I am always a bit paranoid about used rifles with chrome molly barrels as I have gotten bit on more than one occaision with nice looking rifles with pitted bores.
Old 02-23-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup View Post
Folks ,
Anyone have any first hand expierence with this brand of rifles . I've got an opportunity to buy one in .243 and I've only seen pictures . I'm wondering about the accuracy and trigger .
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration .
Good shooting .
Soup
I had a Zastava a long time ago in 243 - eary 90's. It was just fine, nice bluing, the action was not the smoothest but it got better with use. Accuracy was acceptable for hunting a hunting rifle - inch & one-half groups for 5 shots.
The trigger was adjustable, certainly not a Jewell but more than good enough for a hunting rifle.

drover
Old 02-23-2022, 03:09 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
I had a Zastava a long time ago in 243 - eary 90's. It was just fine, nice bluing, the action was not the smoothest but it got better with use. Accuracy was acceptable for hunting a hunting rifle - inch & one-half groups for 5 shots.
The trigger was adjustable, certainly not a Jewell but more than good enough for a hunting rifle.

drover
Chambered in .243, it is a commercial 98 Mauser action. Decent but nothing special.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 02-24-2022, 12:19 AM
Supporting Member

Timney makes a trigger, maybe for the Mini. I'd like to get a Mini. I've seen M48s advertised as a "short" M98 so it may be worth measuring the distance between the screws and magazine opening.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:53 AM
Supporting Member

Since they are one of the few true Mauser actions that come in Left Hand I have owned a few. Devcon bedded and the action slicked up a little they are a very good rifle. Nice deep bluing, good accuracy with both factory and hand loads. I currently have a 7x57 I trimmed down to a classic stalking rifle. It will shoot 3/4" with factory Sellier and Bellot ammo, slightly better with hand loads. All of the ones I have owned would do better then 1" after being bedded.

Before

After

Old 02-24-2022, 11:03 PM

They appear to have a sort of painted on varnish that hides the grain, very similar to the M600 BRNO's of the 90's.. Looks a lot better, re-finished, Dean2.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:04 PM
Supporting Member

Did you use alkanet root when you refinished the stock?
Old 02-25-2022, 02:29 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
They appear to have a sort of painted on varnish that hides the grain, very similar to the M600 BRNO's of the 90's.. Looks a lot better, re-finished, Dean2.
Thanks, very happy with how it turned out. Most of the Zatavas have better grain than you would guess. You are right the varnish is kind of an opaque product that does nothing for the wood grain. I have a Baikal 22/20 gauge that was very plain new, looked a whole bunch better refinished. All the reshaping took about a pound off the weight too.

Barretcreek, the finish is Truoil. I did put a coat of Birchwood Walnut stain on the stock, let it soak in for 10-15 minutes and then wiped it off, let it dry, before putting on the first of probably ten coats of Tru oil. There is nothing else that I used except for the Devcon to bed it. I let each coat dry about 10 days.