Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-16-2022, 07:29 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
Got my hands on two Century Zastavas at the show last week. Yes, they're rough; for the price I'll stick with 700/M7 and put up with the bulk.
I have to wonder at the finish of the Zastava Mini mauser actioned rifles in the USA.
I have a rifle that was sold new in NZ and while it's not as smooth as some actions I've got I wouldn't call it "rough", the finish is pretty good but it isn't as nice a finish as a Sako that's for sure.
Yet I have a L/H action I got from the USA and it is rough, it was purchased as a bare action, just wondering are the fully built rifles like that as well?

Kiwi
Old 03-16-2022, 01:41 PM
Supporting Member

I'm far from being an expert on the CZ 527 based on just 4 purchases. However, I just couldn't warm up to the protruding magazine, and the actions were indeed rough nib. One of them in 221 FB had a very nice piece of wood, but it was poorly inletted with very noticeable differences in the fore end widths. The set trigger function with a half inch of over travel was a joke, imo. They all went down the road.

I do still own 2 rim fire CZ rifles (17 M2 and 22 Mag), but to make them look complete I bought after market trigger guard/bottom metal for each of them. The factory supplied metal strap iron trigger guards were simply cheap looking and plain butt-ugly to my eyes. Without the extra expense on my part for each of them, they too would be gone.

For me, not having any CZ Model 527 rifles is just fine. I'm sure others will disagree, and I can live with that. We all chose how we spend our money.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-17-2022, 04:08 AM

Default Mini Mauser

Here's a few photos of my Zastava Mini Mauser in 22 Hornet. This was purchased through Century Arms around 2013. It has good fit and finish and feeds well from the magazine. It's a diminutive action but, works with the Hornet cartridge.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-17-2022, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
I have to wonder at the finish of the Zastava Mini mauser actioned rifles in the USA.
I have a rifle that was sold new in NZ and while it's not as smooth as some actions I've got I wouldn't call it "rough", the finish is pretty good but it isn't as nice a finish as a Sako that's for sure.
Yet I have a L/H action I got from the USA and it is rough, it was purchased as a bare action, just wondering are the fully built rifles like that as well?

Kiwi

I have three M85 Zastava mini mauser rifles, 20/222, which is an old action from the 1980's, one is a 222 I had rebarrelled from 223, and the other is a 7.62x39 which I originally got to convert to 22PPC, but changed back. They all shoot very well, but you would expect that with good quality barrels, the 7.62 has the original barrel. I noticed that the 1980 version was a lot smoother, but if this was from use, I am not sure, but they all are smooth enough for me, the trigger is much more adjustable than the CZ57, being four way, if you include safety pressure.

I wouldn't call any of them rough from the factory, and for the cost, they are, or should I say were, a very good buy here, being around the 500.00 dollar Aust for a complete rifle. I have seen them up to 1000.00 for a new bare rifle, they arent worth that in my opinion.