Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-24-2022, 02:45 AM

Default Has anyone here done a Remington 580 conversion to 17 Pee Wee or 19 Badger?

I have a couple 580s that I have wanted to do this on one of them for a long time. I’m curious about what worked real well and anything you would have done different.

What I plan to do is have someone thread the action and I will fabricate a recoil lug like a 788 has. I think a roll pin would work fine to keep it from rotating. Is threading the rear tang for a stock bolt OK, or should I be silver soldering a stud there? I’ve seen both small Sako and M16 extractors used on these. Any preferences?

Does anyone have a gunsmith they can recommend to thread the action and install the barrel?

I think we can handle making the recoil lug, new bolt head, fabricating the firing pin and heat treating it and enlarging the loading/ejection port. Other than the loading/ejection port work, if we screw it up we just start over with no harm done.

I am inclined to use the existing dovetail groove scope mounting, but with air rifle rings that have a recoil pin.
Old 03-24-2022, 02:21 PM

I have a similar rifle in 17 Ackley Hornet and I'm using the receiver grooves with 22RF rings without slippage issues.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:49 AM

Doesn't Calhoun specialize in these conversions ?

Hal
Old 03-25-2022, 12:52 PM

He had a guy in Oregon he was referring people to. The guy was so busy he hasn’t been taking in any work.

Just yesterday while working on my gardens I was thinking about how blessed the community is to have people like him, and others. I spent hours thinking of recent conversations I had with him, with Kurt Bellm and Rob at Cornell Publications.

I guess they are what you would call cottage industries. I remember when guys like Fred Huntington used to show up at Chet Paulsons, Eddie Bauer or Kesselring Gun Shop back in the day.
Old 03-25-2022, 03:43 PM

Kesselring Gun Shop.... That brings back memories from 40+ years ago.
The proverbial candy store for shooters.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:06 PM

I know it will not come to pass, but many of the old time stores, so many of us grew up using, sure would be nice to see back again.
Old 03-25-2022, 06:03 PM

I think back to the days of my youth and my mother taking me to Kesselring's. Ron was always so nice to me when I was a kid. I have pink invoices that were sent with my phoned in orders that just said to put a check in the mail. Sometimes these were for thousands of dollars. Many of them have a personal note asking how my mother is doing etc hand written right on them.

When I ran the hunting/shooting counter at a major regional sporting goods outfit the higher ups used to have me talk to Francis because "she is always nice to you."

Chub Eastman used to be found there or at Chet's frequently. Thinking back to the days of Eddie Bauer's gun shop, Warshalls, the full service gun shop at the Bon Marche' and Herter's only other retail outlet other than their headquarters in Minnesota just up the street bring many fond memories.

I also remember Bill Steigers making his Bitterroot Bonded Bullets in a little room in his house. IIRC, it was under his porch. The hell of it is, a lot of the technology that is extensively adopted today was pioneered in the Washington, Idaho and Oregon. Washington and Oregon have been doing their best to drive everyone who doesn't align ideologically with The Party out.

Last edited by JDHasty; 03-25-2022 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:35 AM

Well, my check is in the mail and I have a reamer, head space gauges and dies for the Garin version headed this way.

I was BSing with James Calhoon the other morning and I have a buddy who wants me to drop off a Martini with Dennis Olsen in Plains the next time I’m headed up to Kalispell. It so happens that Dennis Olsen did a lot of these for him.

My plan is to have Denis thread my receiver and in the mean time see if we can make a center fire bolt head with AR ejector and extractor on our own. A recoil lug should not be hard to make.

I definitely want a second action screw, but am not decided if I should have a lug silver soldered on like a 788 has or to just drill and tap the tang. I’m also thinking about pinning the bolt head to the body. I have some triggers here and am thinking of cutting up the safety lever on a Timney 788 and welding it back so the safety button will be where it is on a 580. I wish I still had a factory 541T trigger.

I’ve got a cut down walnut stock and a NOS stock that people say is mahogany. I’m going to pillar bed the barreled action into both so it will fit me or the kids.