Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-02-2022, 02:55 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
You are correct. I stand corrected, with a magazine that works it would make up into a good Hornet action. But they are generally rough as a corn cob when new.
I never wasted any time with one because I didn't want to spend time smoothing one up. Those who have seem to like the action. No idea if the action could be made to work RE bolt face opening.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-02-2022, 04:13 AM

Quote:
You are correct. I stand corrected, with a magazine that works it would make up into a good Hornet action. But they are generally rough as a corn cob when new.
I guess I found a good one, as my mini in 7.62x39 feeds and works smooth, almost like slick glass. It is a sweet shooter.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:30 AM

I have a browning a-bolt micro in 17AH. Feeds just fine.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:33 AM

Default Was thinking....

A Browning micro in 17HH would be so sweet to be able to just buy and shoot.
Imagine a Ruger number 1 in 17HH,can you even get the Browning single shot in 17HH anymore? Sometimes I wonder about the car and gun companies,do they even know or care about what we want?
Matt
Old 06-02-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Those are mostly examples of controlled round feed actions. The Swift is semi rimmed. True rimmed cartridges just don’t seem to feed unless the bolt grabs them right out of the magazine. We have Mod 70 & Sako & CZ Hornets sitting here and they all got hold of the cartridge as it comes out of the magazine. The post 64 Mod 70 in 225 I just don’t know about how much of a rim it has. I’ve never looked real close at them.
None listed are controlled feed actions. I should have said I was talking about the early tang safety Ruger 77. All push feed actions.

Hal
Old 06-02-2022, 12:16 PM

The 3 howa minis I have are all quite nice, especially for the price. The actions are straight, smooth and well made. The triggers are good too. The main complaint is the rubber stock and plastic magazines they come with, but there are aftermarket options to fix things like this now. The cooper M38 and small sako are nice too, but more expensive and harder to find. The 527 I have was quite rough until I ran 3000 rounds through it shooting matches in the blowing sand of the southwest.
Old 06-02-2022, 02:01 PM

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/c...ed-rifles/amp/

Controlled vs push feed, two fundamentally different types of handling cartridges from magazines to chambers.
Old 06-02-2022, 02:11 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/c...ed-rifles/amp/

Controlled vs push feed, two fundamentally different types of handling cartridges from magazines to chambers.
Gosh.......... I didn't know that.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-02-2022, 02:12 PM

Regardless of what type you want, need or use the main reason the controlled feed action was developed, was to have a positive pickup and pull out of the cartridge in dangerous situations.
Such as a dangerous game hunt/animal and war, from what I have read numerous times, mostly in books/articles regarding the Mauser action.

So, you use what you want to build a rifle, for the conditions you expect it too work under and be happy.
Old 06-02-2022, 02:37 PM

I am guessing the Hornet is one the most underrated rounds in history. When I was younger than 40, I had not idea why anyone would want one, but now it is the first rifle I grab when I hit a dogtown. I am a Savage guy, but the 25 is not anything that I could see myself owning. I am a huge fan of the Howa mini, but it's really sad that we our options have run out. I keep looking for a low wall, and they come up occasionally but very seldom. I would think that Henry could H make a run of the break action in .17H and sell them quickly, with only having to modify an extractor.