Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-06-2022, 01:03 PM
Supporting Member

Bill

The Caahoon mags let you seat the bullet further out without having to single load. I am pretty sure the extra COAL is what he is referring to.

As far as the Nosler VG, I found them to shoot very well in the 17 FB but no better than the Vmax and Zmax. Because the Zmax were so much cheaper. like half, we loaded up on them big time and that is what we use most of.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Bill

The Caahoon mags let you seat the bullet further out without having to single load. I am pretty sure the extra COAL is what he is referring to.

As far as the Nosler VG, I found them to shoot very well in the 17 FB but no better than the Vmax and Zmax. Because the Zmax were so much cheaper. like half, we loaded up on them big time and that is what we use most of.
I can and do that by just single loading, even with the original mag. I just don't feed the cartridge out of the magazine. I often do so, when I have loads that the bullet is not seated down to fit the magazine.
I know some say they will not feed this way, but it has worked for me while shooting longer seated bullets in my CZ's for over at least five years.

That is why I was curious. Yes those Z-max's were good also. Still have some of them and shoot them on paper and things other than game, to be legal in this commie state of mine.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
When I shot a lot of the Nosler "Shots" in my 17's, I had some very decent groups that worked great. But now I can legally only shoot lead free, so my 17's get the 15.5 NTX's and they also group well and do a fine job on critters.
Grouping is consistent in the 1/2 inch area.

JD, question ? I see you have mentioned changing to the Calhoon mod magazine has given your rifles better accuracy.
I have and shoot both the factory and modified magazines in both by 17 and 20 caliber CZ'z rifles and have found they both work fine, as all they do is feed the cartridge into the chamber.
Bedding and such has been my key to improving the accuracy.
How does the magazine change make the difference in your rifles ?
James Calhoon modifies the magazines to allow them to handle bullets seated further out. It has always made a positive difference in accuracy, on some rifles it is minimal (but still noticeable) and on others it has made a big difference.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
James Calhoon modifies the magazines to allow them to handle bullets seated further out. It has always made a positive difference in accuracy, on some rifles it is minimal (but still noticeable) and on others it has made a big difference.
Thank you for your info. I have James mod magazine and as I said use it along with the factory one's in my CZ's.
But still find load development is the key to group accuracy, along with good bedding of action into stocks.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
But still find load development is the key to group accuracy, along with good bedding of action into stocks.
Absolutely!

And not only key to accuracy but I know of no other way to get, consistent, accuracy.