Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-20-2009, 02:21 PM

Default 17AH in a T/C Contender

I was at the club last weekend and a member had a T/C Contender, I handled it and I liked the way it felt. I looked at the T/C custom shop site and if I was looking at it correctly they sell a chambered barrel for the T/C Contender in 17AH? Does any one out there have any experience with 17 AH in the Contender? That could be a nice little package.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Supporting Member

I have a Bullberry barrel in 17 AH on my contender. Last weekend it was consistantly shooting less than 1/2 inch groups. Short, compact and handy. Can't go wrong with the 17AH or the contender.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:45 PM

Default Bullberry

So you just purchase the barrel from Bullberry and it drops into your Contender?
Old 06-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Yip. Some other folks who offer Contender barrels:

http://www.matchgrademachine.com/
https://www.eabco.com/index.html
Old 06-20-2009, 04:51 PM

Default 17 AH in T/C Contender - low cost way to go!

I have several T/C Contenders in 17 AH & 17 AB and all shoot remarkably well. An inexpensive method of obtaining a 17 AH or AB Contender barrel is to find an inexpensive used or new 17 Mach II or 17 HMR Contender or G2 rifle barrel and have it rechambered to 17 AH (MGM charges $75.00 to rechamber). My experience with rechambered 17 AH barrels has been very good.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Default mine is an MGM

I bought mine used from mr pruson on here. Only thing I don't like about it is that it's a 1:10 twist. Won't shoot 25 gr vmax. But it likes 25 Bergers and all 20 grainers.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:21 PM

Default Confession

When I built the rifle Charlie is talking about. I thought the 1 in 10 twist was the ticket and MGM had one ready to go. I didn't realize it would have problems with the 25 gr bullets. Hope Charlie forgives me someday

I had my second one(17 AH) built with a 1 in 9 twist in a Browning Micro Hunter. In my opinion and expereince the bolt gun has fewer problems with consistency and accuracy when placed on the bags in different positions. The Contender can sometimes get finicky about placement on bags or rifle rest, shooting stix etc, due to pressure points on the forearm not being the same.

Okay all you T/C guys, start the volley of small arms fire at me now.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:40 PM

Default Browning

I just purchased a new Browning A- BOLT and delivered it to BOB GREEN, he lives about 20 miles from me, then I ordered a Lilja 1 in 9 twist 17 barrel. So right now I am waiting. I was checking GB and saw some one has a 11 year old Contender with 2 barrels, one in 22 K-HORNET and the other in 22lr. I was tempted just because I always wanted to try a K-HORNET. I wonder if there were many changes to the Contender in 11 years?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Supporting Member

Default Contender barrel

I've owned 17ah's in both a factory TC barrel and one from Bullberry and would recommend the aftermarket route over the factory barrels. It is more expensive, and probably more a function of the blank they start with, but there is no comparison in the way they shoot.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:58 AM

Have a 12" & an 18" Bullberry Contender barrel dating from '91 & '92. They have taken many ground squirrels and PDs. Still shooting them and wouldn't eliminate the 17AH Contenders from my arsenal.

Calaveras County, California, USA