Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-16-2010, 11:21 PM

Default Handi Rifle Rebore

Guys,

Hoping someone can send me in the direction of where to buy a Handi rifle .22 hornet barrel. Tried to get through at NEF but can never get an answer just phone menus and music. Talked to a smith about building a fast twist .25 k-hornet for subsonic loads.

Thanks in advance
Matt
Old 12-16-2010, 11:47 PM

This one I know the answer to. It is much easier, and you end up with a better barrel, to just use a 12 or 20 gauge H&R barrel, mahcine it out and "stub" in a quality barrel. I have done dozens of them. The favorite seems to be a 32-20, but I have done 22 Hornets, 17 Hornets, 30 Carbine etc. I am right now cutting the barrel off a 25-06 H&R barrel to put back into the stub to make a shorter barrel chambered in 256 Winchester. I have how to pictures if you want. If you must do a re-bore, Wayne York of Oregon Gunsmithing is the guy to talk to, I am not sure he cuts rifleing in a 25 cal however. Here is one put nearly together and one in pieces. Larry

Last edited by trotterlg; 12-16-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:12 AM

Wayne is actually the gentleman that I spoke to on reboring to the 25K hornet. Want to use a 8" twist for shooting the heavier bullets slowly. Do you provide the service described above? I would definitely be easier for me to fine a shotgun barrel to start with.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2010, 12:29 AM

Although I have done a lot of them, I am not a Gunsmith and only do them from time to time. For me, unless I have a reamer for what I am going to make up, it just isn't worth it. A Hornet can easily work with the H&R shotgun (SB1) frame, so the easiest thing to do is to buy a 20 gauge H&R shotgun, Cabellas has them for $109.00 today, and just use the barrel. If I had a little more time or was a little younger, I would have at it for you. Larry
Old 12-17-2010, 01:09 AM

Larry,

Sent you a PM.

Thanks
Matt