Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 12-25-2010, 03:21 PM

Default 221 collet die FYI

A while back I submitted a thread regarding using a substitute collet die for a 221 Fireball. I was encouraged by Hector and Don-T that Lee had changed their policy and would indeed make a custom collet die. I sent them my check and 2 pieces of fired brass plus a 40 gr. Vmax.
In turnaround time that would make your head spin(especially at Xmas) this is what I received:

I'm still scratching my head wondering why they will make a 20 VT & 17 Fireball collet die but not the 221.

Thanks again to everyone that responded to the last thread. I thought I would put this subject to rest.

Merry Xmas
Old 12-25-2010, 04:04 PM

Default We can't make that....

That's WEIRD of them!!! Maybe it is just a matter of finding/talking to the right person at LEE. Several times I have talked to a fellow at Cooper that would tell me that they don't offer what I was asking for. I always ended up with what I originally asked for, but had to talk to someone more "mature" in their Cooper Age. If they (Lee) do make collets for the 17 &20, how could the 221 Parent Case be too short! "Let me talk to the oldest person in your fab shop", would be my next statement.
Bill
Old 12-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Supporting Member

Default if all else fails...

You can still turn down an REDDING #10 extended shell holder and use it to run your .221 FB cases into a .223 Rem Lee Collet die. Might have to make a new top cap. I have a couple custom top caps left from a run we made, knurled nicely and all. Let me know.
You can use the same shell holder to run 17 Fireball/Mach IV cases into a 17 Rem Lee Collet die, and 'borrow' the custom top cap for the collet die being used.
And, turn down an REDDING #14 extended shell holder, and run 22 K and 17 Ackley HORNETS into same dies. Works fine. Got tired of "lube on, lube off" about 1,200 17AH cases for Montana.
Simpler than it sounds.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 12-28-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:42 PM

I was going to send off for a 20 Vartarg set next week has any one for sure ordered these succesfully.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:56 PM

Hey Alan! I'm looking closely at all of your photos! LOL! Actually I'm thinking about just going with the 22 PPC collet die.
I can kind of understand them saying the 221 case is too short but you would think, for $59.50(pretty much triple what they charge for a collet die), they could fabricate some raw stock into a collet die that would work.
If you look at how creative Alan in GA is, you know that there's a way you could make something work.

Jollygiant01, They used to have an 800 number but I don't see it anymore. Call or email them and ask them if they will make your die. If not, just send the cases and check. If they don't make it, you will get your money back in record time.

Last edited by jwv2001; 12-25-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Supporting Member

Default oh yeah,,,,the PPC die

I forgot about that one. Lee makes them I think and I'd have to check the length to base of neck but I believe I remember it working, too.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:21 PM

I think a RCBS #14 extended shell holder is for a 338 Lapua mag.
Ken.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Supporting Member

Default Sorry guys....

Sorry guys! I was saying RCBS when I have REDDING shell holders/extended holders out in the shop!
What you need to start with are EXTENDED shell holders for Hornet and .223 Rem cases for the 'conversions' to lathe turn for the use discussed above.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Supporting Member

Default yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
I think a RCBS #14 extended shell holder is for a 338 Lapua mag.
Ken.
I should have typed REDDING! Thanks for the proof read!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 AM

Alan in GA,
So,will the respective extended holders from RCBS still work or are they different, just asking as i ordered RCBS ones from Midway after reading your post.
Thanks,Ken.

Tags
221, fireball, lee collet die