Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Did it mention anything about trigger maintenance? Such as flushing with lighter fluid as Jewell recommends?

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 10-21-2010, 05:28 PM

The Remington comments cited mentioned trigger modification and inadequate or lack of proper maintenance several times, but never stated a specific procedure.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:33 PM

Also, on another board this morning, I saw some comments that the other guy they interviewed, the one constantly smoking and trembling, was never an employee of Remington Arms and had nothing to do with the design of rifles. He worked for Remington Ammunition in customer service in Arkansas(?), not for Remington Arms in Ilion, NY.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ae35gunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C. Kitchens View Post
I'm watching a news report on the Remington 700 right now on CNBC. Interesting story, as well as many historical pictures from the history of the 700. Lots of equipment being shown. Unusual stuff for TV, but they are making the 700 look bad...
Anyone remember the "Waiting to Explode" NBS Dateline segment which aired 17 Nov 1992 that alleged GM pick-up trucks were susceptible to bursting into flames during side impacts??? Turned out, after almost 4 months of villifying GM, an investigator noticed that during slow motion viewing of the filmed collision a small detonation could be seen BEFORE impact. Turned out that NBC had staged the whole scene with the help of demolition experts who were initiating a charge remotely to create the exploding gas tank!!! In Feb 1993 Jane Pauley issued a 3+ minute apology for the network (wonder how that tasted). There may be some merit to the Remy 700 broadcast, BUT it is also another way to inflame an uninformed public and sway them against responsible gun ownership, and in favor of gun control. Naturally, CNBC would NEVER have that as a motive would they?? Best advice I can offer is (as Bret Maverick would put it) "What my ole Pappy used to say". That advice is NEVER BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE. Sage advice in this day and age of instant text messaging and the www.blog-isphere which has more BS in them than a large Nebraska feedlot. JMHO...and please remember to vote your conscience this November 2nd, A.C.O.R.N. is currently registering dead people for the other side
Old 10-21-2010, 09:35 PM

This is clearly what they used to call "yellow journalism." The end of the program revealed the true agenda. CNBC and their liberal, anti-gun backers are starting a public campaign to change the historical product liability law position as it applies to firearms. Have no doubt, this is yet another attack on the Second Amendment. The antis have not been successful in directly attacking the Second Amendment, so they are going to try to legislate such tight control, it will make firearms prohibitively expensive. Don't forget, Miss Hillary and the Arrogant One want to make us just like the rest of the world to kiss the rear end of the UN.

Last edited by TinMan; 10-21-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Supporting Member

nice rebuttal here.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...el-700-trigger

ML
Old 10-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Supporting Member

This quote from part of Dave's blog is spot on regarding the mechanics of these triggers. He is a sharp guy with tons of experience. IMO

"And there we come to the crux of the matter. If the original 700 trigger has a fault, it is that it can be fooled with by anyone who has a small screwdriver. The adjustments are delicate, and if you don’t know how (or know enough) to keep sufficient engagement between the sear and the trigger connector, the rifle can slam fire, or fire when it’s dropped, or fire when the safety is flipped off. The same thing happens when you set the trigger pull lower than 3 pounds; it is not designed to function below that level, and there are some fools who love to take it down to 2 or 2 ½."

It is a bad time (or an opportunistic one for some no mind sleezes) to bash Remington. I have visited there on a few occasions and have always found that they (employees at Ilion) will bend over backwards to help fix anything or make any problem I had right. They have consistently been exceptional to me. It also strikes me as od knowing that the Remington factory employs lots of men and women from the core of New York in an area that otherwise does not have much prosperity or industry left. Just what we need is potentially more US citizens out of work and another domestic corporation in jeopardy.

Peter
Old 11-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Supporting Member

Remington's response to CNBC's hack job piece about the Remington 700
http://www.remington700.tv/#/home