Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2013, 02:54 PM

Default The Shooting Physicist

That's who I am That's who you are. Life is Physics. Shooting is Physics. Chemistry is Physics. Engineering is Physics. Forming Small Caliber cartridges is Physics. Making bullets is Physics. Shooting is Physics.

Like to hear from those who have realized what Physics and all lifes sub guidelines have meant to their load development and shooting life. I have more later. What say yeah.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-26-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:03 PM

Default Physics

True enough but have we learned all there is to know about physics yet?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 PM

While working at a ca.state university I started a conversation with a physics student who claimed that if you dropped a bullet and from the same height shot a bullet straight and flat they would hit the ground at the same time
Doesn't make sense to me. what say you ?
Old 05-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Supporting Member

LOL

I highly doubt the PHD Pysicists I have been working with and for, since 1980, would agree with us claiming to be Physicists, but I would suggest we do work with the laws of Physics in our quest to learn and understand ballistics.

But, the Physicists I support are Nuclear Physicists, the earlier Generation I supported mostly shot and reloaded ammo, the more recent batch of college grads know what a firearm is...

Allen
Old 05-26-2013, 11:12 PM

sluggo
I agree with the Physicist student you talked to in a theoretical sense. If curious get yourself a high school Physics text and a Schaum's Physics outline series. Very interesting and easy to understand. Read the motion section you'll get your answers.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-29-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:35 PM

Sluggo
For practical purposes a fired bullet and a dropped bullet will hit the ground at the same time. Mathmatically the fired bullet will take longer given the curvature of the earth. However, given the distance a rifle bullet travels relative the distance around the earth the curvature factor becomes irrelevant. Therefore a dropped bullet and a fired bullet will hit the ground almost insantaneously. For a more detailed explanation google the "affect of gravity on rifle bullets". It will also help in understanding why some rifle cartridges are more "flat" shooting than others and why rifle bullets will always shoot high then shooting either
up or down hill.
Hope this helps.
Bob
Old 05-29-2013, 03:29 AM

Thanks I'll check it out
Old 05-29-2013, 08:46 AM

Bob
Thanks for coming on to share the wealth of your knowledge of the Laws of Physics. Some know most don't. What you and I are sharing are the basic principles of motion that have been going on since Day 1 on our planet earth. Believing or not believing makes no difference. The Laws of Physics are finite. In shooting whether we know or not every action can be explained not by man/women/something elses opinion but by peformance, the best shooter works to establish their niche in each competition, thus the daily winner.

I want to do a Thread on what shooting in conditions could be helpful for hunter and target/range shooter.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-31-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:47 AM

The stated theory only holds true in a vacuum....
Old 06-25-2013, 03:01 AM
Supporting Member

Default Worn out shooter?

Son of a gun, I had a feeling that I would someday regret not going to college, just didn't think it would be on my favorite small caliber shooting forum?
Stan