Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2013, 06:46 PM

For Pete's sake guys, get along. Don't know either one of you but, I am pretty sure you are both adults.

As for the scope thing..... My old eyes require some decent magnification. For big game it is 3-9 and for the little targets it is 6.5-20. Those are MY needs. Does not have to apply to anyone else .
Old 06-09-2013, 07:08 PM

ramos
A 4x scope is a simple comment yotes are varmints, bobcat/lions are varmints. I don't need a variable 4x14 power scope to shoot a rabbit. I have most hi-power scopes you guys mention but only use when needed. Use any scope you want mine was just a comment. You guys put the time with your equipment your veterans.

Stephen Perry
Old 06-09-2013, 08:27 PM

Stephen, your comment about a P.Dog silhouette @ 600 yards being like it was sitting in your hand got my attention. That distance is the same as 150 yards with the naked eye. Would have been easy for me to spot thirty years ago. Today, it would be tough even with corrective lenses. Getting old sucks in a lot of ways. It also changes what scope a guy needs for various applications. Just trying to point out that what a 4X scope does well for you would most likely be useless for me. For example, my ten year old son has a 22RF with a 4X scope. Yesterday we were shooting rotten chicken eggs at 50 yards using his rifle. Really pi$$ed me off just how tiny those eggs looked at that distance. It was a bad idea anyway, our Jack Russell decided to roll in the mess before coming inside last night!
Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Supporting Member

Default 4 days on the gopher pastures...

I think 4.5x-14X is the most common scope for the short range ground squirrel exterminating we do - 15' to 200 yards, maybe a few shots farther.
Hours or days into the gopher shoots I ask the others: "hey, what power is your scope set on?"
Usually it's between 7x and 9x.
Setting it on 4.5X makes for a good 'where are they' setting when we don't see one and the action is slow. Lots of gophers are 'found' hunched in the new grass [which grows fast after the rains just had].
If one at longer range is found then turning up to 10X or higher makes for easier shot placement.
Nothing scientific, and the guys I go with are not wanting to set up a bench for quiet and calm longer shots like I tend to want. It's more like drive by shooting out the window of a suburban.
I wish I had good enough vision to 'do it all' with a 4X or heck, even a 2.5X or 3X like Jack O'Conner did back in the day.

One thing I've tasted- resolution. Read about it, thought about it - even talked about it. All I know is I know when it's gone. I've had maybe 4 Leupold 6X-20X scopes, blue and green lens tint versions. Bought a 8X-32X Nightforce and shot it some. I know this about resolution, that it was not quite as good when I went back to the Leupolds after shooting the Nightforce.
OK, not gone but less of it to enjoy. Also the Leupold 6X-20X sure didn't gather much light even when set down to 6X....as noted while watching a nearby pasture at dusk waiting for tender does to come out of the tree line 500 yards away. No, not going to shoot that far, just watching across the field as it got darker just after sunset. Now I hunt with my favorite deer hunting scope...at least up to this point...a Leupold 2.5X-8X Vari X III. Watched deer at out to 450 yards [does, not doe day] and realized that 8X allows all the magnification I need to place a shot anywhere on the deer even out to about 400+ yards.
My longest shot kill ever at a deer was....167 yards. I live in Georgia and long range shots occur when you get on a gas/powerline right of way, or see a deer and back up.

I'm 62 and still argue with buddies about this and that when talking scopes. I think a high resolution 4X should do it, but somehow still mount and take 2.5X-8X scopes on deer rifles, 4.5X-14X on gopher rifles, and a T36 on anything I take to the range to 'see what it will do'.
My favorite air rifle scope is the Leupold 3X-9XEFR. Got a couple of them on my most used air rifles.

At 62 years old I'm still not sure what scopes I like best, but doing ok with these.
Maybe a SUPER HIGH quality [and resolution] 4X could do it all. Don't forget, we didn't always have scopes, and a peep sight was high tech.

Enjoying what you guys think about scopes.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 06-09-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:52 PM

I personally have always liked the higher magnification, even when I was younger and had good eyesight.

But to me though the most important thing is holding zero. I have had lower end variable scopes that would change zero when changing the power setting and also by just simply adjusting the parallax!

Talk about something that will drive you crazy, that certainly will!

Alan
Old 06-09-2013, 11:07 PM

ARW
Saying what you said a fixed power scope leaves no doubt about POI change caused by the scope. A 4x or 6x has no problem with POI changing day after day. Conditions will change POI. Changing powers in a variable scope can add to a change in POI. In other words the shooter with a variable power scope adds to what conditions are present that day. Bad ju ju.

Stephen Perry
Old 06-09-2013, 11:46 PM

Stephen,

I have a fixed power Leupold competition scope for groundhog hunting and use the clicks for different yardages.

I never click for the wind, always use Kentucky windage or SWAG for that, but always click up or down for distance, knock on wood it has always returned to zero.

Alan
Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 AM

A good scope does not care what you do with the knobs. It does what it is told to do. For those who can still shoot with open sites, appreciate it while you can. I can, with glasses on but can only focus on the front site and target. Oh, the good old days! I am 48 years old. Figure that is not old nor young by today's measure. Just surprised at how fast things change! I am blessed to have a nine year old and a ten year old "spotter" riding with me most of the time. No substitute for young eyes!!!
Old 06-10-2013, 02:49 AM

ARW
I have allot scopes at least a dozen more than the scoped rifles I have. I like fixed power scopes less problems. I have lots of Leupolds, lots of Weavers, several Lymans, several Redfields, couple Unertl's, and a few Tasco's. No big deal most from trades.

I hold for windage never change vertical once I start shooting. No need for that 200 yds is 200 yds all day long.

Stephen Perry
Old 06-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
A good scope does not care what you do with the knobs. It does what it is told to do. For those who can still shoot with open sites, appreciate it while you can. I can, with glasses on but can only focus on the front site and target. Oh, the good old days! I am 48 years old. Figure that is not old nor young by today's measure. Just surprised at how fast things change! I am blessed to have a nine year old and a ten year old "spotter" riding with me most of the time. No substitute for young eyes!!!
Ramos what you said is so true........I started noticing last year that my arms were too short to read things and when I got far enough away that things were in focus they were too small to read.........a magnifying glass became my best friend, then finally got glasses and found I needed bifocals. What I thought was sharp at distance was actually a bit fuzzy..........It's great to be able to see things sharp and in focus but ageing sucks