Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 06-16-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
Stephen, your comment about a P.Dog silhouette @ 600 yards being like it was sitting in your hand got my attention. That distance is the same as 150 yards with the naked eye. Would have been easy for me to spot thirty years ago. Today, it would be tough even with corrective lenses. Getting old sucks in a lot of ways. It also changes what scope a guy needs for various applications. Just trying to point out that what a 4X scope does well for you would most likely be useless for me. For example, my ten year old son has a 22RF with a 4X scope. Yesterday we were shooting rotten chicken eggs at 50 yards using his rifle. Really pi$$ed me off just how tiny those eggs looked at that distance. It was a bad idea anyway, our Jack Russell decided to roll in the mess before coming inside last night!
100% right . 45 years ago I thought a 4X was magnificent , now I need way more power for precision shots and if the light fails only a small amount it's even harder .
Old 06-22-2013, 02:30 AM

Ramos and Valentine
I'll be 63 on July 4. I have Weaver, Lyman, Leupold, Redfield and some German scope all 4x. I have Unertl, Leupold, Lyman, and Weaver all 6x scopes. Leupold is the brightest with Redfield a close second. My eyes are not 20/20 but close. Can't eat those 400,500,600 silohuettes but I sure can see them out there. First time out cleaned 35 out of 37 with two different rifles not with 4x scopes.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 06-24-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen perry 1 View Post
Ramos and Valentine
I'll be 63 on July 4. I have Weaver, Lyman, Leupold, Redfield and some German scope all 4x. I have Unertl, Leupold, Lyman, and Weaver all 6x scopes. Leupold is the brightest with Redfield a close second. My eyes are not 20/20 but close. Can't eat those 400,500,600 silohuettes but I sure can see them out there. First time out cleaned 35 out of 37 with two different rifles not with 4x scopes.

Stephen Perry
You are very very lucky . My eyes are killing me . I have so much trouble now seeing a micrometre or any fine work without direct sun light on it .
I wear tri focal glasses to do any machining work or read anything now.
Without glasses at long range my eyes are good but close up it's a blurr .
The old 1000 yard stare !!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:02 PM

Used a 4x40 for years on rifles with no problems. These days I have variables but most of teh time they stay at 7x on my 3 x 9x36 and 8x on the bigger scopes.

Luepold are decent scopes, but look through a Ziess just before dark and there is no way back. I run 2 Ziess DiaVari C 3 x 9 x 36 on 22LR and 17AH, perfect scopes for 200 yards or less.

A