Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 06-20-2013, 12:52 PM

great advice, thank you. I didnt size the cases before loading. I'm going to call the smith today and have a chat.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Supporting Member

So far only the .17AH and the 20Tac if that can be considered close enough to an AI cartridge to count. But after reading many posts over the years by BCB & Ackman on the .223AI I have been feeling the need to convert my Rem. XR100 to a 223AI.
Unfortunately other things need my moneys for now.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
great advice, thank you. I didnt size the cases before loading. I'm going to call the smith today and have a chat.
With the Ackley cases you only need to neck size, you will never need to trim them either your cases will last for a long time.

George.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:54 PM

I called the smith, he said bring it by, so hopefully saturday I will get it down to him. He has had a 6.5x50 jap 38 of mine for nearly a year and hasnt worked on it yet. Hopefully he wont sit on the project, especially because its warranty type work. wait and see.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Supporting Member

Default Might try...

Take one of those new, never before sized or fired cases, prime it and fire it with NO powder and NO bullet. Check to see if the primer is backed out after firing.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
260 ackley improved, 40 degree shoulder is my first wildcat. Still playing with it. Shot a buck last year with it. Having issues with reliable ignition. Wondering if I need to set bullets long to contact rifling, and hold the case tight in the chamber. The cartridge will go off on the second pull of the trigger, after its shoved forward in the chamber from the firing pin strike. Am I'm on the right track? This is on virgin brass still in 260 form, not fireformed.
I havent extended my OAL yet because its magazine fed, and I will have to single feed rounds to fireform. Meaning all bench shooting, and not during deer season.
Gun holds 3/4" groups at 100 yds, with a pencil thin 1-8" shilen barrel. No complaints from me if I can get it to go bang every time.
Alan is probably correct about the headspace.

When fireforming cases I prefer to create a false shoulder, that way the cartridge fits tight in the chamber on the first firing, and in theory makes the case form strait because it's being held in place.

A good way to do this is to buy a K&M expanderon die and use a one caliber up expanderon to expand the neck, ".270" in your case", then use the normal die to just push the neck back far enough for a snug fit upon bolt closing.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:05 AM

You mentioned that you got a 260 Ackley Improved that has some ignition issues. Here are some thoughts and mostly just my own opinions; so take it at that.

There is a difference between improved and wildcat cartridges. To me, an improved chambering will allow the parent factory load to be shot safely and every time mechanically. I am under the opinion that the Ackley chambering is shorter than the factory parent case. I.E. the go gauge for the parent case will become the no go for the Ackley version. This provides the supposition that the gauges for the Ackley are around 0.004" shorter than the equivalent gauges for the parent case. This shortening in my eyes is intended to give a positive fit within the new improved chamber of a good parent case.

Why this is in my opinion is to give a crush seat(slight) onto the shoulder with the parent factory cartridge in the Ackley chamber. However into today's market of brass, some brass is undersized. To me that is where a false shoulder approach is about the only way to keep the brass sometimes. Some folks use a longer than necessary bullet set to jam into the lands, which holds the brass to the back of the bolt to some degree. I am not a biggie fan of the longer bullet seat, in real wildcats I prefer the false shoulder routine.

With all of that said, you are supposed to have an improved chamber. With your issues with misfires, hard to tell who is on first(Abbot and Costello routine). Probably the easiest way is with the proper chamber go and no gauges for the improved case of the day. The real reason for such a suggestion is the variance of brass nowadays versus depth of chamber reamer insertions.

So far, in my adventures with a 220 Swift Ackley Improved 40 degree, factory 220 swift ammo and brass will give a crush feel to the bolt during breeching. Again, I believe that this is the shorter dimension of the Ackley chambering. This provides positive iginition/dimensional fit during a breeching of a properly configured factory parent case for fireforming in the improved chamber.

Sometimes rechambering is done without setting the barrel back a turn or so for the new improved chambering, this can cause some issues like you are experiencing. The intent of the improved case, again my opinion, is to chamber factory ammo or properly prepared reloaded parent ammo in the chamber in full safety and will go bang everytime due to mechanical fit.

Before we chastise the smith, we might take a looksee at what the reloaded ammo really looks like. It could be your ammo, ......... but the proper improved guages will tell all... with perphaps some support from a right good depth mic.

In either case, the maladies you mentioned are quite fixable one would think. Of course, some things like this might be, can be handled like a wildcat chambering with the false shoulder routines during fireforming...........however you paid your money for a improved case chambering.

Sometimes ignition issues are caused by other things other than chamber or brass criteria. A visit with your smith ought to help with a remedy.

FWIW,

Rick

Last edited by rick w.; 06-21-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:56 AM

hey guys
thanks for all the advice. I think your all on the right track, and its encouraging me to get it fixed asap.
I took a factory piece of brass, seated a primer, and fired it, it is slightly raised, and when I say slightly its a small amount but noticeable.
The smith wants me to bring the gun, factory case, and a fire formed case. Hopefuly he can fix it, if he has to turn the barrel back to get rid of the extra headspace hopefuly he will get the chambering marks in the right spot.
Its a small thing that bugs me, but he did the barrel, and didn't square his engraving punches properly and it looks like a 5th grader scribed 260 Ackley improved on the side of my barrel. uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I will keep you updated, hope to get the barrel down Saturday.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:03 AM

Stamping chambering marking etc by hand stamps is an artform. Some use jigs but still a job that makes one sweat a little...........

Someday will have a Hermes dragger.........
Old 06-21-2013, 02:36 AM
Supporting Member

Default undersized brass....

I've run into undersized brass before. It's one reason I've chambered some Ackley Improved's to almost 10 thousanths under factory standard. Four under is the spec for Ackleys but as you said some of today's brass is smallish!