Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 04-20-2014, 02:46 PM

Smile ackleys

I have a fairly new 22-250 AI and am wondering how you actually size the case for fit.Right now I size them to close with some resistance,not alot but alittle to set the shoulder against the chamber without slop.It works but I just wanted to be sure as I am a new ackley guy.Not trying to hijack but thought maybe it was ok to ask a question form the real ackley guys.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:06 PM

Thats the way I do it having taken the fireing pin and spring out of the bolt. I want very slight resistance as I cam the bolt down.

A
Old 04-22-2014, 02:01 PM

Default Very slight bolt resistance

There may be a little spring back on brass. allow for this when you are setting headspace.

Smoke the shoulder neck junction with a candle or cigarette lighter. Then carefully insert into the chamber. Carefully Extract the case, you will see where the soot has been wiped off where the case is contacting the chamber.

I like a very firm contact with the chamber, and relube my bolt lugs every 25-50 shots to keep from gauling.

As I said previously, I would always love to get a gun back from the gunsmith with 0.010 crush+.

If you ever have a gunsmith tell you that the AI when set up perfectly will be able to shoot factory ammo, well......you are about to get screwed by someone that does not know his AZZZZ from third base on how to headspace Ackley's. A loose fit on the go gage will get you into trouble with stretched cases. Lots of gunsmiths do not like to deal with Ackley's due to customer inexperience in how to bump shoulders, and this is the cause of the endless debate on how to deal with fireforming Ackley cartridges.

0.006 crush is about minimum as brass will vary from the factory as much as .004 or more.