Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 06-16-2013, 07:44 PM

Default Wind Flags For Range Work

Was a time back in the 70's when any type of shooting aid was frowned on by locals at their Range. This included chrono screens, wind flags, or pinwheels. I shot the 77 NBRSA Nats at Kelbly Range. Don't remember any wind flags being used but it was my first Nats for sure there wasn't a full field of wind flags. Most were trying to shoot the Mirage.

Times have changed I am flying 4 flags in my back yard as I write this Thread. I fly flags allot whether at home or at the Range. For Range use it will help any Small Caliber shooter. Easy to make out any stiff material. Cut yourself out a pattern use some kind of pivot material wood, aluminum, delrin, others. For a stand a simple stiff pole drill a hole in the pivot slip flag over pole drill a smaller hole on the piece of pivot material drive a common nail that matches the wind flag pivot make the nail a slightly smaller dia than the pivot hole.

For flagging construction grade ribbon is popular. Comes in rolls one roll last you a lifetime. Drill a small hole in flag/vane a small empty key ring attaches to flag and gives the flagging something to attach to.

If you don't want to go the trouble of making flags buy a few Rick Grahmm sells good flags affordable.

Even easier get some construction lathe tie some flagging material you got a wind indicator. Mother Nature doesn't know what you use as flags/wind indcators. Wind is always there even though you may think not.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 06-17-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:10 PM

Old 06-16-2013, 09:42 PM

I do similar to Al with my back yard flags. I changed today to flagging forward flags shaped like arrows. I have several sets of this style of flag. Actually I have a Nationals set of arrow flags flagging forward 30 flags 25 std. size and 5 50% larger with enough poles for each one. Most of my other flag patterns are either rectangle shaped vanes or vane back weight forward.

One thing to mention unless in a competition limit your flags to 2 for your Range work. Reason being range officers don't protect your flags from getting shot at on a Public Range. You set flags at your own risk. I always set my smallest flags if shooting on a Public Range to be less obvious.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 06-17-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:32 PM

OK , so here are a few questions from those of us who try to optimize our wind reading device(s) for Range Testing Loads at 100 Yards ....Not for Competition . I only Test Loads under very low wind conditions .....I don't have to Test often . First , I look outside the house at Flag Poles and the Trees . If they are almost still , I head for the Range . I use a cut-off Broom handle to which I tack on a piece of Surveyors Tape . I've heard if you use only one Flag , you should set it near to your Bench , so I set it out about 10 Yards . Is this a good set-up or not ? The light wind I see , blows mostly from left to right . I then wait until the Surveyors tape reaches roughly the same angle to the right of the broom handle and shoot . I've read a few Articles on reading the wind and even attended a BenchRest School , and ended up more confused than when I started . Any clear suggestions on Simple Equipment and how to set it up for us Ammo Testers ? TIA.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:50 AM

xring
Your set-up is fine what you could do is make another stick with flagging set your second stick on the right side of the first one. Now you have a wind alley. You'll be surprised sometimes your left to right will show different on on one flag then the other only 10 ft apart. A wind pattern has currents running through it. The wind indicators closest to the shooter are the ones to watch. A wind indicator at the target are least useful. A bullet once it leaves the muzzle takes it's set declination soon after it stabilizes.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 06-17-2013 at 10:20 AM.