Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-04-2014, 08:59 PM

Default Could The 5mm Be In Trouble, Again???

I just downloaded the Aguila ammo catalog for 2014 from here.

http://www.tx-at.com/img/catalog/Agu...014_lowres.pdf

I don't see the 5mm Magnum listed. I see .22 Magnum listed. Does this mean
they have stopped making the 5mm Magnum??? Is the Centurion line a seperate line???
Old 05-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Banned

Default 5mm

Its all over! Ive owned 3 5mms and was never a big fan! Lets let it die this time!
Old 05-04-2014, 11:07 PM

I'm with fatcat on this one. The rifles for it are old & of poor design & quality & of limited supply. Obviously, no one is jumping on the band wagon to build a new one so why produce ammo that will only be sold in very limited quantities? Let this dead horse stay dead. Great little cartridge that had great potential. Just another of the Remington fiascos.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:37 PM
Supporting Member

LOL!

Johnny, if I had to guess, it's probably on hold for a while (there's some legality issues I'd wager with the new management).

Fatcat, you never stop do you? Sigh...some people just like to take a dump on things when ever they can; just like an undisciplined, untrained child or like a spiteful old b!tch. smh...

BTW, the brochure is the international one. Aguila isn't cleared to import 12 ga. ammo, and .223 has been as rare as hen's teeth, even before the run (most of it was sold to central american militaries).

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 05-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Supporting Member

Having bought a new one only to have it turn almost instantly into a tomato stake, it was dead to me in the 70's anyway .
The fact that Remington in all their infinite wisdom didn't "REINTRODUCE" it in grand fashion and in a good rifle during the .17 HMR's meteoric rise to being a large financial success shows just how lacking in foresight Big Green truly is . Of course I think their failure to come out with a .20 VarTarg to go with the .17 Fireball built on their own .221 Fireball case case goes a long way to proving the same point. After the way they didn't do much of a roll out on the .17 Fireball and then bailed on it in a hurry to boot is in keeping with what I expect of em business wise anyway.
If the 5MM is indeed dying once and for all however I do feel bad for the guys who have em, like em and want em to stay around. Sorry guys .

P.S.
I was typing as you were posting Marine, I didn't open the link but I do hope your right and it does stick around for the above mentioned reasons.

Last edited by montdoug; 05-04-2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:20 AM

The redeeming value of the 5mm: A small powder capacity rimfire cartridge that used an intermediate, 20 caliber non-ballistic tipped bullet. This is why those in the know, like this little round for game and small fur-bearing animals. A solution to this forgotten niche (at least by the manufacturers), would be to come out with the 17 HMR or WMR in heavier (say 20-30 grain weight), non-BT bullet offerings.

JMHO,

Bill
Old 05-05-2014, 01:15 AM

I would rather someone would make 25 Stevens.

I know it sounds silly but I loved hunting with those rifles.

A little heavier bullet.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:29 AM
Banned

Default 5mm

Im with 257x50 on that!: Bring back the old 25 with a 60gr. bullet!
Old 05-05-2014, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
Im with 257x50 on that!: Bring back the old 25 with a 60gr. bullet!
Ever use those 60 gr subsonic 22s. All bullet. Lol
Old 05-05-2014, 02:57 AM
Supporting Member

I own two of the rifles - one converted to optional CF mode and one still in full RF mode. Time will tell as to what happens over time. On the side, based on history - I'm guessing that Marine MPI knows more than he can talk about at this moment, and that's fine with me. In addition, I'm not going to lose sleep either way when the facts can be revealed. In the meantime I don't see any rifle manufacturer jumping in with a newly designed rifle to satisfy a relatively small number of buyers in the large scheme of things......

That said - Pure and simple: As small caliber worshipers, we are a small niche market.... What people buy in numbers over time is what a company will produce. If they produce something they doesn't sell in sufficient numbers to meet their expected rate of return on investment over time, if they continue to produce it, they lose money and go out of business.

That simple fact does not make a company bad. It keeps them in business in spite of how perpetually butt hurt someone might be over the fact that a company hasn't produced another example in a never ending list of things a few people here might want that literally won't and don't sell in large quantities in the total market. I'm among the list of those who would like, but I don't expect continual miracles that defy good economic sense.

The 17 FB was a good example: Sales were brisk at first because some people saw it as an answer to their 17 caliber questions. Relatively quickly, however, sales plummeted and in my area numerous 17 FB rifles sat on shelves for months before some of them sold at discount prices due to a general lack of demand. And yes, where I live ammo has been just as available and plentiful as have been the rifles from the git go. Both sit and collect dust, so the lack of one has not hurt the sale of the other in the case of the 17 FB.

Bottom line, I'm betting that where I live is not unique... It's simply a relatively large market view of an even bigger market. Again, the things we might like do not sell well in the larger market. I'd love to see a whole list of new small caliber rifles and cartridges hit the market, buy market reality in a consumer driven market says it won't happen. That is not the fault of rifle manufacturers, green or not......

Why, for example, has CZ limited the availability of a few cartridges in their rifles in recent years? Because they can sell others more quickly, so that is what they choose to produce. By letting the market dry up for a few years, they can produce runs of brand X (like the 17 Remington) in 2015 and again rely on the relatively small niche market to consume heavily for a period of time and then once again demand will dry up. So they again will let supply dry up accordingly by limiting or ceasing production. That's just good business sense, and I sure don't fault CZ or anyone else for their approach.

It will be interesting to see how the 5MM lives or dies in the future. The overall consumers market will drive that decision too if the manufacturer has questions about continuing to produce it or to produce something else that sells more rapidly and in larger numbers (read makes the company more money). At the current time, maybe other factors are in play..........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-05-2014 at 04:35 AM. Reason: clarity and spelling...........