Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-29-2017, 02:54 PM

Default Brass Case Trimmer

Folks ,
I’m wondering if anyone is using the “ TRIM IT II “ Case trimmer ? If so are you using it in a drill press , directly to a motor , or on an electric drill?

If not this trimmer which one do you use . For the last 35 years I’ve done it by hand but I thought I’d entertain a power trimmer. What’s the general consensus?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Semper Fi
Soup
Old 12-29-2017, 03:03 PM

Is there any way to motorize what you are currently using?
Old 12-29-2017, 03:04 PM

Default Brass Case Trimmer ?

For years used the old RCBS hand case trimmer, then bought and used the WFT and it works very well, on a hand drill.
But I recently bought the Hornady Lock N Load hand trimmer and like it the best of all. A little slower than the WFT with the power drill, but works very well. Just my thought. Bill K
Old 12-29-2017, 07:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I got a $50 small drill press from HF china import years ago. One of the handiest tools on my loading desk.

I chuck the cutter/pin in it. Since I have welding equipment it's no big deal to tack up a handle from 1/2" sq tube, 4" long, drill a 1/4" hole and insert the stem of the lock stud gizmo and tack weld it in place. That allows changing the case rings as desired. I've trimmed over 400 cases per hour many a time. One step of course.

Then it's chucking the chamfer cutter for the other two steps. I seldom run less than 500 cases at a session. Many times I don't start on them until a 5 gallon bucket is nearly full. That's: 5000 .38's, or close to 10,000 40's. Might be 3500 .223's. just to give an idea. For years I've run 10-25,000 over the winter as that's my hobby, I get tired of reading all the time once in awhile. In addition, I cast bullets by the 2 gal buckets full per size.

Lee's system is slick and cheap, accurate too. Though at times the split threaded end will break off. So IF you go with this way, get at least two of each. They'll replace 'em but, out here in CO it takes two weeks to get one back. Unhandy when in the middle of a bucket full of brass.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 12-29-2017 at 07:50 PM. Reason: more bs
Old 12-29-2017, 07:41 PM

Can you elaborate on how many cases you need to do at once and how often? Volume and speed pretty much dictate price point.
I started with the hand powered Lyman, then adapted it to a power drill. That worked OK for 25-50 cases at a time. The rotary case holder is pretty convenient, cutting head just OK. The pilots are a pain when a burr is created on the inside of the neck. They still need to be inside and outside chamfered. When I started shooting highpower we are talking hundreds of cases at a time a couple times a year. Ground squirrel rifles have four hundred cases each. No way the old school units would keep up. I was going to buy a Gracey or Giruad, but decided to build an in between version. I bought the trim head from Giraud, set up my own motor/drive, and made the spring loaded case holders in the lathe. The beauty of it is the Giraud trim head cuts to length and inside/outside chamfers all at once. Takes about 5 seconds per case. I still use the Lyman for low volume an odd calibers that don't justify setting up the Giraud.

Long story shorter, if you can stand the fare, it doesn't get better than the Giraud. Gracey is good too. About $400 to get started and $35 for each additional case holder. The WFT ~($70) works on the same principle using a shoulder referencing shell holder (best in my opinion) but uses a flat cutter so the cases then need inside and outside chamfering operations.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:29 PM

FWIW, I broke down and bought the Frankfort Arsenal case prep machine that has a case trimmer built into it. I spaces off the shoulder and seems to work quite well. I can trim, chamfer and deburr in one pass. Kinda noisy little sucker though.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:17 AM

I've used Lee, Possum Hollow and CTS trimmers so far. I use the Lee for lower volume calibers. The Possum Hollow works well but it dulled after a few thousand 223's. So far the CTS has worked the best - I got the carbide cutter upgrade.

I fastened an old Harbor Freight drill to a 1x8 and hard wired it to AC using a laptop power supply. I chuck these into it and get to business.

Last edited by SmittyWerben; 12-30-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:51 AM

Default Trimmer

I try to do at least 100 at a time .
However with the hunting season , Christmas Holidays and the freezing weather we have been having and will continue to have at least for another week, I haven’t been doing any shooting lately.
Semper Fi
Soup