Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-06-2018, 01:32 AM

Question .22 K Hornet

Folks ,

I’ve got a T/C Contender made by Fred Smith at Bullberry . It’s scary accurate and fun to reload and shoot .
I’m wondering if anyone ever necked down the K Hornet to .17 , or is that what the .17 AH is ?

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Soup
Old 11-06-2018, 01:41 AM

pretty sure the 17AH is a necked down K hornet. but as with many cat's there are often many different variations and reamers out there for the same cartridge.

but to add to that. With hornady releasing it's 17 hornady hornet (very similar to the 17AH) It would be a good idea to play it safe and get something that you can 1 buy factory ammo for those lazy days, have brass, dies, ect. without having to go custom or more expensive routes, and no fireforming!
Old 11-06-2018, 01:47 AM

Notice the footnotes on the 22K many variations as I mentioned
Old 11-06-2018, 03:00 AM

I believe that RCBS makes or has made dies for the 17 Khornet and the 17 Ackley Hornet. I have the RCBS form dies and reloading dies for the K model. I made a buy off Ebay(1/3 of retail preowned) some years ago for the RCBS form and loading dies for the 17Khornet, then went to PTG for the match reamer(little smaller base).

Most of the dwgs that I have seen for the Ackley have a shoulder of 30 degrees. My 17 Khornet made with a reamer from PTG has a shoulder of 35 degrees.

So both versions exist at least with RCBS die sets.

My 17 Khornet is built on a 77/22 action, Shilen barrel, pillared up fwiw. Like the case well enough to build up a No.1 lightweight kinda.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:48 PM

If that is a carbine K Hornet and you chose to sell it for a 17, let me know
Old 11-09-2018, 04:35 AM

I've got a 22 K Hornet and a 17 AH from Bullberry. If you think the 22 K Hornet is sweet give him a call and order a 17AH. Tell him which bullet you will bet shooting and he will throat it for it.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:48 AM
Supporting Member

IMO .22 Hornets are way more than a lotta folks give em credit for, really like em. The .22-K Hornet is fantastic, (like the .22 Hornet on steroids). The .17 Ackley Hornet, and the .17 Hornady Hornet are kinda the twins but to really round out the full Hornet Family ya need a .20 Ackley Hornet as well! The little stuff is a real hoot, all of em .

.22 Hornet, .17 Hornady Hornet, .17 Ackley Hornet, .20 Ackley Hornet, .22 K-Hornet, real nice family whichever ya choose.
They make a .17-K Hornet as well as the .17-Ackley Hornet, rats can't tell the difference I bet .