Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-24-2020, 03:01 AM

Default brass

4.6x30HK ! I have to many 17VHA rifles , 17VHA Ar 15 , most fun gun you will shot ! CZ527 I just built converted 17 AH { magazines are pain to convert but work great now} , Rem 700 single shot feeds like butter with 5.7 PTG bolt and single shot follower. shot two coyotes with Reed Ammo 25grain VLD bullets , Load full case of H4198 and Reed 25grain ullet and seems to work great on coyotes , one bang flop the other was a hurry shot and got tje old spinning in circles coyote and run and crash With the AR 17VHA. for unreal velocity use the Alliant 300MP powder but only use Fiochhi brass !
Old 02-24-2020, 05:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Wow Mark: thought you'd fell in the big hole and got
covered up. IT's been a long time since you posted.
Welcome back.

Rare Bear: Those are great, lacking the .17 Velociraptor though.

From what I understand the VHA is it's own original case. Right guys?

I was getting 3460fps with either 9.5 or 10.0 gr 1680 and 20gr 'max.

Years ago foxhunter posted several pages of his load testing results on here.
Hey Bob, pull 'em up again for all the newbies on here these days.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 02-24-2020 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:36 PM

[

From what I understand the VHA is it's own original case. Right guys?

Yes and No. It is only the 4.6x30 case necked down to 17 cal. Bill K
Old 02-24-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
Do you think anyone will come out with a bolt action rifle chambered for the 5.7x28? I remember a few years ago Savage talked about, but they never made it to production. It looks like it would be a dandy small game cartridge. Too much competition already?
Somebody already did in a very quick handling AR platform, and below that in a delayed blowback SBR platform:

Old 02-24-2020, 03:11 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks guys, from pic I thought it might be based on M1 Carbine like the 5.7 Johnson/22 Spitfire I am working with for the past several months. I'm liking that round much more than the K-Hornet that it replaced with 40 Varm easily doing 3300 using 300MP. Will eventually do a write-up on this project.

Thinking about doing a rifle based on 223/221FB brass like TCM or Reed. Any comments on those two?
Old 02-24-2020, 03:53 PM

If I recall correctly, one of those neat little machine guns that the secret service carry under those suit/overcoat jackets is a semi/full auto (selective) 4.6x30. May be a H&K make. Bill K
Old 02-24-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Thanks guys, from pic I thought it might be based on M1 Carbine like the 5.7 Johnson/22 Spitfire I am working with for the past several months. I'm liking that round much more than the K-Hornet that it replaced with 40 Varm easily doing 3300 using 300MP. Will eventually do a write-up on this project.

Thinking about doing a rifle based on 223/221FB brass like TCM or Reed. Any comments on those two?
Problem is finding an action that feeds and more importantly extracts said cartridge.

Flyrod I want to say got a 1.15" case to cycle in a howa Mini action. I've heard the CZ's can be tweaked as well.

The RIA 22tcm rifle struggles in 2 regards. 1 is mag length constrictions (1.275") second being lackluster factory barrels.

I have a wildcat between the furball and TCM called the 22 Mamba (1.125" case length) But I haven't found an action to get it to work as a repeater yet (aside from the AR platform) I want to try a Howa Mini but haven't gotten around to it yet. I will say the efficiency and lack of report is remarkable. 3300 ft/sec with 40's from an 18" barrel and the report is mild due to faster burning powders (lil gun, CFE blk)

Doing a straight pull AR is another option. only caveat aside from being an "evil black rifle" is there isn't cam assist like a bolt gun so if you run hot loads be prepared to have to mortar them out.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:11 PM
Supporting Member

Hey squirrel slayer, sent you a PM about your Mamba.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:24 AM
Supporting Member

RareBear's computer cartridge renderings caused me to look for Mike Johnson's small caliber cartridge renderings that he did quite a few years ago. Mike was a Saubier poster back then and had a web site called Angel Fire, IIRC. He was an early 20 Tactical shooter. He and his wife got heavy into bow hunting and he faded from here.

Anyway, if anyone has those pictures that Mike had created, if possible, would you please post them? I've been through 2 or 3 computers since then and I have no idea where I have them or maybe I lost them in a computer crash about 12 years ago.

Also, if anyone else has similar pictures, it might be good to have them all in one place in a sticky here where folks could look at and compare small cartridge designs. Just a thought.

TIA - BCB

EDIT: Since I seem to be wide awake early this morning with the "no sleepum's", I dug through the archives here and ran across a link to Mike's old web site which still exists and I also found the picture I asked about there. Posted below. The web site has some good old early 2000's information that might still be useful to some. Interesting read none the less.

http://www.angelfire.com/sd/6mmackle...tycaliber.html

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 03-05-2020 at 09:51 AM.