Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-08-2020, 08:36 AM

Default Definitely not small cal but need help

Hi Everyone,

I don’t log in much these days, but I read what’s going on almost every day. I have a Rossi M92 Lever Action Rifle in 454 Casull. I’ve had this rifle restocked with a nice piece of walnut and had a red-dot sight fitted. I bought a 100 Starline brass, loaded up 50 rounds with 300gr Hornady XPT’s over a warm load of AR2205 (4227) powder. Got to around 1900fps just for the record factory Hornady 300gr XPT Loads were running just over 2000fps in my rifle. Was very happy with the load, shot to around 2” at 100m. All good. Recently I have started to have case separations. It’s happening around halfway down the case leaving half the case in the chamber. I checked the rest of my brass, and just about all of them have a ring around the same spot. I’ve checked the head-space on this rifle, by chambering an empty case with a spent primer just started in the pocket. When I close the action the primer seats all the way in. So, I assume head-space is not a problem. The only thing I can think of is that I’m over-sizing the brass. I have never seen any rim case separate halfway down the shell. It’s basically about a ¼” down from the base of the bullet when seated.

My question is – Can you partially size straight-wall pistol cases? Have any of you guys ever have this problem with high pressure straight wall pistol cases before?

PS thanks for replies in advance. I’ve ordered a 100 new brass and hope I don’t ruin the next lot. The ones that have separated have been loaded no more than 4 times.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:53 AM
Supporting Member

Straight wall pistol case head spaces on the rim. In this gun, does your brass get longer or shorter after the first firing. Most magnum pistol cartridges get shorter with each firing and if yours does then my guess is you got a batch of bad brass. If it gets longer with each firing then you may be over sizing the brass causing it to be worked too much. As far as sizing the brass whether it gets longer or shorter, my bet is the once fired brass goes into the gun just fine even before it is sized so you only need to size enough of the case to hold the bullet, sort of like neck sizing bottle neck cartridges. I only size the neck on my 45-70, 38-55, 22 Hornet etc brass. You may want to try that on this one.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:23 AM

Default Ok

Thanks Dean and yes fired cases do slot right back in with no trouble
I have only reloaded for two other pistol cal leaver guns before both 92s one 44mag and the other 45lc loaded them to max book loads no problems but I know the casull is running a lot higher pressure but the brass should handle it
I will try only sizing the first bit of the case where the bullet goes
Cheers Brett

Last edited by BG17; 03-08-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:02 PM

Might want to look at your expander die setting also.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:18 PM
Supporting Member

Redding makes straight wall dies which differentially size the case but I don't know if .454 is available.

https://www.redding-reloading.com/in...izing-die-sets

They list 45Colt/454 as the same set in standard dies but I don't know if this dual setup would be similar.

Last edited by barretcreek; 03-08-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
Redding makes straight wall dies which differentially size the case but I don't know if .454 is available.

https://www.redding-reloading.com/in...izing-die-sets

They list 45Colt/454 as the same set in standard dies but I don't know if this dual setup would be similar.
Could be the same and would likely work but interesting that they list different dit sets for 38 special and 357 magnum. Probably worth asking before ordering...

Also interesting that they list the 45 acp but not the 9mm??

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member

Last edited by Gary in Illinois; 03-08-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:37 PM

Not sure how one would "over-size" straightwall cases, assuming you follow the directions as to how to adjust that particular sizing die.

If you have some new, unfired cases left, do some measuring. Then measure a fired case, and then a resized case.

It probably would be a good idea to get some cerrosafe and make a chamber cast too.

I had an issue like that in a Merrill single shot pistol in .30 Herrett. Case separations were fairly common in that caliber when using reformed 30-30 brass, but mine were separating about halfway up the case. Turned out that the chamber had somehow developed a ring in it at that point, and I had to scrap the barrel. In a high pressure case like the .454 Casull, I think it's possible that something like that could occur. Just why it would occur escapes me.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:42 PM
Supporting Member

1) 9mm is tapered. ACP is straight.

2) Article on Ruger Redhawks made a reference to the .454 models having some cylinder problems in certain production runs. 92 might have chamber walls thin enough to do that also.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:24 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG17 View Post
Thanks Dean and yes fired cases do slot right back in with no trouble
I have only reloaded for two other pistol cal leaver guns before both 92s one 44mag and the other 45lc loaded them to max book loads no problems but I know the casull is running a lot higher pressure but the brass should handle it
I will try only sizing the first bit of the case where the bullet goes
Cheers Brett
Any updates on figuring out what the issue and fix its?
Old 03-14-2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Illinois View Post
Could be the same and would likely work but interesting that they list different dit sets for 38 special and 357 magnum. Probably worth asking before ordering...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not sure if everyone's dies are the same, but if you order RCBS .357 Mag dies, the seater die will not work (will not crimp) .38 Specials; if you order .38 Special dies, they will work with both .38 Special and .357 Magnum.

Sorry 'bout going off topic.