Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2020, 03:36 PM

Question .22 Short Rimfire

Folks ,

I've got a question , more than likely a dumb one .

Is there any difference , other than chamber length , between a .22 lr barrel and a .22 short barrel . Maybe the twist rate ?? I don't know and I'm sure one of you gentlemen does .

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration .
Please stay safe and healthy .

Semper Fi ,
Soup
Old 05-21-2020, 03:49 PM

Probably not a lot, I would imagine why the OP wants a 22short barrel/chamber is, if he shoots mostly or all shorts, he does not have to worry or clean the carbon ring out, as he would with the lR, in the chamber. Just a thought and guess.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:29 PM

Rifles chambered for only the .22 Short should have a 24" to 26" rate of twist.
Rifles chambered for the S/L/LR will have a 16" rate of twist, normally, but I heard somewhere of 18" twist in a .22 S/L/LR - might have been a European rifle.
This difference in rate of twist is why .22 shorts are not as accurate in a S/L/LR rifle as they are from a specifically .22 Short rifle.
The .22 Long carries the same bullet of 29gr. as the .22 Short, but usually at a slightly higher velocity. I think the High Vel. Shorts are the same 1,200fps as
the .22 Long is listed.

Last edited by Daryl; 05-21-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:22 PM

Most of the Short-Only rifles have a twist rate of 1-20". I have an old Remington M24 Short Only. Even if my eyesight would permit it, I doubt it would shoot very well, it was used in a shooting gallery in the waybackwhens, when the ammo was corrosively-primed, and might have even been the half blackpowder/half smokeless "LesSmok" stuff. One of it's prior owners sure didn't bother to clean it regularly, either, half the bore is in bad shape, the other half, not very good.

It still functions as an autoloader (like the little Browning SA), but isn't especially accurate. I DO use it now and then, to kill coons stuck in traps, which it does quite well, but accuracy at muzzle-burn distances aren't really needed in that circumstance.

Browning still does a run of their little semi-autos in Short Only now and then, you have to search pretty hard to find one. They ARE out there, though.

Last edited by glennlasher; 05-21-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:50 PM

I had a Remington 550-1 many moons ago and always enjoyed shooting the shorts out of it. Very low noise and accurate enough for what we were shooting at the time. Sold it and regretted it as always happens.
Found one recently and bought it, shell deflector and all plus nice wood stock on it. Iron sights only as it does not have a grooved receiver which for my old eyes can be a problem. Still a fun gun to shoot!
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Old 05-22-2020, 02:44 PM

Volquartsen put a .22 Short barrel on a Ruger 77/22 for me about 20 years ago or so. It has a slower twist but I don't remember the rate and a short chamber. They also altered four rotary magazines for me and they always feed reliably. The gun even feeds upside down. It is most accurate with CCI High Speed Hollow Points which are barely above the speed of sound. They become subsonic in a few yards. The most accurate subsonic ammo is Eley Short Rapid Fire Match which has been discontinued and it seemed they got more accurate with this ammo after having the barrel shortened to 16 inches and adding a suppressor. CCI Target Shorts are OK for accuracy for pest eradication at shorter ranges in the backyard as I am trying to save my Eleys for when out hunting.