Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-14-2020, 11:56 PM

Default 20 VT sizing problem

Hey,

I just sized some Remington 221 Fireball brass for my Cooper in 20 Vartarg. I tried chambering it and the bolt won't close. Has anyone had this happen? I am using a set of Hornady 20 VT dies.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:03 AM

Did you check to see if the neck is to long and hitting the lands/leade area and/or the shoulder is set back enough also. is your FL die down and touching the shell holder, for the initial sizing ?
Old 06-15-2020, 12:08 AM

All the cases are less than 1.395" and I have the die adjusted to touch the shell holder. I don't know how to check and see if the shoulder is back far enough. I suspect that is the problem.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:25 AM

Bolt won't close as in bolt starts to drop but stops before closure. Or bolt doesn't move case in far enough to start to close. If the first use black marker on case to determine contact(s) location. If shoulder contact, set die for cam over(if your press/die equipment allows cam over)or use 2-3 thousandth feeler gage under the case in the shell holder. If shoulder contact and bolt is starting to drop you should be within 3-4 thousandth of headspace, if case is short of chamber length.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotespotter View Post
Bolt won't close as in bolt starts to drop but stops before closure. Or bolt doesn't move case in far enough to start to close. If the first use black marker on case to determine contact(s) location. If shoulder contact, set die for cam over(if your press/die equipment allows cam over)or use 2-3 thousandth feeler gage under the case in the shell holder. If shoulder contact and bolt is starting to drop you should be within 3-4 thousandth of headspace, if case is short of chamber length.
The bolt will close enough for the extractor to grab the rim and that is it. So basically nothing. I tried the marker trick and there is a line which shows up where the neck ends. No marks on the shoulder. I have a Redding T7 press and it cams over while sizing. I don't have feeler gauges.

Last edited by 218bee; 06-15-2020 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:22 AM

Default 20 vt

Wish I could help. I have a Rem 700 and a Rem XR 100 in 20 vt. I form from 221 fb brass with a Redding die.
In the odd case you know another person that has a 20 vt and a different brand of dies, you might have him form a few cases and see if they work. Maybe it’s your dies.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:08 AM

Default 20 vt

You may need more cam over. I had to set mine to extreme cam over. The t-7 has a little slop in it unless you have honed the bushing down. On mine I had to turn the die down about 1/8th of a turn after making firm contact with the shell holder.
Dan
Old 06-15-2020, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
Wish I could help. I have a Rem 700 and a Rem XR 100 in 20 vt. I form from 221 fb brass with a Redding die.
In the odd case you know another person that has a 20 vt and a different brand of dies, you might have him form a few cases and see if they work. Maybe it’s your dies.

That is a very good idea, if you have a buddy or someone in your area with a 20VT, have them size a couple cases and see if they fit.
If they don't then your Cooper must have a very tight or short chamber, since you have the proper trim length on your cases.
Just for info, I like the other poster, size 221FB cases with one pass into my fl sizing die, although mine are Whidden Custom dies.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

Do you have a fired case from the rifle? Will a case without a bullet chamber? Sounds like the shoulder needs to be pushed back. Keep pushing it back and see if it will chamber. Worst you will do is throw a case away. Is it new brass? Hard to help without these answers.
Case loaded with bullet could be neck thickness.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:39 AM

Default Remember the Redding....

Shell holder set that had multiple thickness case holders + or - I never had them but if memory serves they would allow you to adjust your case body length without having to cam over.
Matt