Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-10-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tree View Post
I recently went thru a similar scenario. Pulled everything out of the safes and evaluated their current and long term importance. Decisions to part with based on what I use or probably will, and what will make sense to leave to my sons. I don’t want them to end up with a bunch of “what is it? And what the hell are we going to do with it?” items.
Another reason was to fund upgrades to scopes and stocks on the items I use a lot (my fireball and hornets – lol). It was painful at first to part with a few things but my 70 year old eyes have sure enjoyed the upgrades. The squirrels not so much.

But,,,, evaluate carefully. Some of this “stuff” we have accumulated is, and will be, almost irreplaceable these coming years. IMHO
Dave
Dave, you are right. I don't think I could afford to replace them. I like the thought of replacing a few stocks for a better fit. I hope my son as he gets older wants to use them too.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotespotter View Post
The odd ball,case wise, 17 rem. However that's the only one I would keep, no ground squirrels here.
It's funny you mention that one. It is the only one I have not shot, yet. I hope to correct that sometime this month.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
First, what game are you hunting/shooting? I find that the 22 Hornet is much quieter and can be downloded to near 22lr velocities in more populated areas. I like the 221FB because it is near 223 Rem performance. Keep the 17 Rem for sure, as it is the only one with the very high muzzle velocities and terminal ballistics.
Groundhogs, squirrel, rabbits, and turkey.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
I have at least one of every rifle/cartridge combination mentioned here plus a few others, and the last one I would get rid of is the 17 Remington (I own 4 of them). I say that because it works so well on coyotes with 25-30 grain bullets. And even though some say it is matched in velocity by smaller 17 caliber cartridges, it easily outruns them when the heavier bullets are used in both. I have both 17 M4 and 17 FB rifles, and I would never consider them to be equally as good/reliable on coyotes out to maybe 350 yards with 25-30 grain bullets. If they were all I had, I'd make do with them. i'm simply saying that some choices are better for me. I'm sure that some folks will disagree, and that's perfectly fine where I stand.

No doubt the 204 Ruger is the king of all the cartridges mentioned here in terms of "killing power", but a 17 Remington with heavier bullets and coyotes are a perfect fit for me, and have been since the early to mid 1970's. Even when I'm shooting a 204 Ruger or a 20 Tactical at coyotes using my own hand swaged 38 grain 20 caliber HP bullets.

JMO - BCB
I kept the 17 Remington over the 204 Ruger because I thought like you it had the same ability to push high velocity and I could do so with a little less recoil. Turkey and groundhogs would be the biggest game for me with these rifles.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:02 PM

I have been going through similar events. 22BR won out over the 22-250. 17 Fireball won out over the 17HH.

I in turn upgraded some glass and bought a 223 I had to have. Did some stock swapping also. Sold my CZ 17 Remington and that bought two Howa minis. Sold the CZ 204 that bought another Howa mini and some glass.
I picked up a Savage 204 barrel and spun it on a spare 223 rig, it shot better than the CZ.

I sold my F/TR 308, bought a Bighorn action and am waiting on a 20BR barrel.

I am upgrading along with putting together some other projects. Good thing is zero has came out of the bank. As you mention, it is a sellers market for some select rigs. I was hung up on classic stuff for a long time. I have come around to the point now that I build or buy what I want and don’t let others influence me.
In my eyes I have little overlap, for instance 17WSM, 17FB and 17 Remington. The 17WSM did a large percentage of what the 17HH did, the 17FB sees only 20 grain bullets and have loads that shoot at Hornet speeds with easier and better accuracy, along with it being able to send the 20’s at Mach speed if so desired.
The 17 Remington sees 25’s and 30’s and sends them at high speed without going crazy on pressure.

Flip a rifle and build or buy something YOU want and don’t have.
Nuff said
Old 12-11-2021, 01:53 AM

The only problem I see is you don’t have 2 of each… and you don’t have a .222. You need to be buying not selling…
Old 12-11-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
I have rifles chambered in 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet, 17 Fireball, 221 Fireball, and 17 Remington for my walking varminters/small game guns. I know I have alot of overlap and I am trying to justify keeping them, but I may send some down the road. Let's hear some opinions on what to keep and what to sell.
Keep these and add a 20 vartarg. That’s a gap that must be filled.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I have been going through similar events. 22BR won out over the 22-250. 17 Fireball won out over the 17HH.

I in turn upgraded some glass and bought a 223 I had to have. Did some stock swapping also. Sold my CZ 17 Remington and that bought two Howa minis. Sold the CZ 204 that bought another Howa mini and some glass.
I picked up a Savage 204 barrel and spun it on a spare 223 rig, it shot better than the CZ.

I sold my F/TR 308, bought a Bighorn action and am waiting on a 20BR barrel.

I am upgrading along with putting together some other projects. Good thing is zero has came out of the bank. As you mention, it is a sellers market for some select rigs. I was hung up on classic stuff for a long time. I have come around to the point now that I build or buy what I want and don’t let others influence me.
In my eyes I have little overlap, for instance 17WSM, 17FB and 17 Remington. The 17WSM did a large percentage of what the 17HH did, the 17FB sees only 20 grain bullets and have loads that shoot at Hornet speeds with easier and better accuracy, along with it being able to send the 20’s at Mach speed if so desired.
The 17 Remington sees 25’s and 30’s and sends them at high speed without going crazy on pressure.

Flip a rifle and build or buy something YOU want and don’t have.
Nuff said
My 22 Hornets are the ones making me feel like something is not right. I have 2 bolt actions and one is a single shot with a .224 bore and 1-12" twist and the other a repeater with a .223 bore and 1-16" twist. I had envisioned a groundhog capable rifle out to 250-300 yards and doing double duty as a squirrel and rabbit rifle. The single shot doesn't shoot factory ammo worth a damn, but that is ok since I had planned to reload anyway. Lilgun proved to be a disappointment in this rifle. Accuracy was still under MOA, but the velocity never got up to 3000 fps with the 40 grain plastic tipped bullets. Plus the point of impact varied alot between changes in bullets. Luckily I fell into some Alliant 300 MP and got much better accuracy and was able to get to and over 3000 fps. I can seat the bullets out as far as I need to (it has a pretty long throat) and not be limited in that respect. If I am being honest with myself I don't like a single shot bolt. I can live with it if it is in a heavy barrel rifle, but the rifle is so trim and light it should have a magazine. It really bugs me.

So, I got a 22 Hornet with a magazine, but I now can't shoot the 40 grain plastic tipped bullets because they have to be seated out too far and won't fit in the magazine. If I want to use those bullets I will essentially have another single shot. If I stay with the typical hornet bullets I will greatly limit my range with the rifle.

My 17 Hornet shoots nearly as good and I am shooting factory ammo. It shoots flatter and recoils less. Pointy bullets fit in the magazine with no issues. My 221 Fireball will also handle the pointy bullets in the magazine without problem and could be downloaded to 22 Hornet velocity if I wanted to do so. I would bet it would do so with better accuracy too.

So why do I want the Hornet to work? I can put a handful of cartridges in my pocket and it feels like I am carrying rimfire. It gives a nice punch for such as small case. There is also a bit of nostalgia to it that I can't ignore. I keep saying I will never do cast and lead, but it would be ideal for it.

With the seller's market my brain keeps telling me to dump the 22 Hornets and not look back. Then my heart speaks up and tells me I will regret it and won't be able to do x, y, or z and it will cost more to get back into it later. I feel like a complete mess and I feel bad for criticizing my wife for not being able to make up her mind
Old 12-11-2021, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 458win View Post
The only problem I see is you don’t have 2 of each… and you don’t have a .222. You need to be buying not selling…
If I saw a Sako A1/L461 in 222 or 22 PPC I would be very weak to say no
Old 12-11-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by df06 View Post
Keep these and add a 20 vartarg. That’s a gap that must be filled.
I do have a 20 VT in a heavy barreled rifle.