Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-14-2022, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
I think that I might be the only person on the planet that has no feeding issues with the Howa, mine being .222. I watched a Screwtube before I got mine and the guy said if you don't feed the round from the front of the magazine, you will spread the magazine and have issues feeding. I have loaded that way, and have never had any issues feeding, no matter how fast I cycle the bolt. If I had my say, all short actions with detachable mags would be compatible with AR mags, but alas, they don't listen to me! I handled a mini mauser back when they were being dumped, and the ones the LGS had, were horribly machined, so I passed.
I am with you on that. I have Howa's in both 1500 and mini models and they feed just fine, with no issues.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:51 PM

A little late to the discussion, but as the owner of a 527, Zastava mini, and sako l461 I must say the zastava and sako are FAR more similar than either are to the CZ.

I had pictures comparing the three, but I'm not sure where they've gone.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

i have owned my share of 527, mini's and l461's, that said this is a comparison of the 527 and mini.
the mini could use a little polishing from the factory. the mini wins in the looks department with the floor plated magazine and it feeds well. another plus is it uses mauser triggers.
the 527 is slicker from the factory but has a clip and a single stack to boot. on the positive it does have a set trigger oem, better wood hands down.

both rifles shootvery well and the mini smooths up the more you shoot. so it becomes a personal choice based on what you can live with.

Last edited by foxhunter; 03-15-2022 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
Wow. Another 6mm Grendel owner on the form.
Had to get a Grendel cartridge build in on a 527 action and didn't want a 6.5 so it was either neck down to 6 or .22, and I chose to go with the 6mm. Maybe on the next build it'll be the .22 Grendel just for some variety.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeport View Post
Had to get a Grendel cartridge build in on a 527 action and didn't want a 6.5 so it was either neck down to 6 or .22, and I chose to go with the 6mm. Maybe on the next build it'll be the .22 Grendel just for some variety.
After I had my 6mmAR, CZ announced their 6.5 Grendel offering so I bought one of those as well. I went with the 22PPC rather than opting for a 22 Grendel, but a 223 AI would have delivered about the same performance and the base brass is almost free. That would change if my goal was to launch 75+ gr. bullets and have the load rounds fit in the magazine. In that case the 22 Grendel would be my first choice.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:35 PM

I went with a 22 PPC on one of my mini Howa's, and it works great.

How much difference really is there between a 22PPC and the use of a Grendel case ?
Old 03-15-2022, 08:53 PM

About two grains more for the Grendel case, both to the top of the neck.
A 223 Ackley has about the same capacity as the 22 PPC case.

John
Old 03-15-2022, 10:05 PM

Thanks John.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:50 PM
Supporting Member

Got my hands on two Century Zastavas at the show last week. Yes, they're rough; for the price I'll stick with 700/M7 and put up with the bulk.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
After I had my 6mmAR, CZ announced their 6.5 Grendel offering so I bought one of those as well. I went with the 22PPC rather than opting for a 22 Grendel, but a 223 AI would have delivered about the same performance and the base brass is almost free. That would change if my goal was to launch 75+ gr. bullets and have the load rounds fit in the magazine. In that case the 22 Grendel would be my first choice.
Great information there Johnly, You nailed it regarding the .223 ackley and .22 Grendel. Both require some necking or forming so that's kind of a wash, but the .223 brass is much easier to come by than Grendel brass. I have an extra bolt and bottom metal for the 527 in Grendel / 7.62 x 39 and that was the only thing that made me think of doing another build on the Grendel case. Then again, I also have a .223 bolt along with .204R bottom metal, so could do a variety of oddball cartridges, maybe even something in .20 like the Practical.