Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-30-2022, 09:09 PM
Supporting Member

Default WSM v HMR

Is there a usable advantage to WSM in terms of range on small targets? It gives 60~75 yards more reach but are the rifles accurate enough? None of the WSM guns excite me but if they shoot well I might consider it worthwhile.

Any one shot both?

Last edited by barretcreek; 05-30-2022 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:27 PM

I had a Ruger 17 WSM Model 7219 which was junk. When it would shoot, it was very accurate. Most of the time it wouldn't fire, it would strike the rim, but just wouldn't fire. The rifle probably spent more time in the mail than my safe. Sent it to ruger and they said there was nothing wrong with it. Tried different ammo, wouldn't fire. You may get several shots in a row, but then you may get 5 in a row that wouldn't fire. I sent it to a ruger gunsmith in NY I believe, he worked on it as well. No luck.

As everyone probably knows the different brands of ammunition is all made by the same company. Just different names on the boxes. The case appears to have a very thick rim. The cases are actually made for blanks to work in stud/nail guns.

After about 3 months I sold it and all the ammunition for a loss just to get rid of it.

Still shooting my CZ 17 HMR which hasn't missed a lick.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:34 PM

Like many others I have both and the 17WSM definitely has more of everything over the 17HMR, but, being honest and for the uses I do with my WSM and HMR's which is shooting sage rats aka Belding's ground squirrels I can't say I notice a whole lot of difference between the two until about 100 yards. Shooting sage rats at 100 yards and beyond is where I notice the 17WSM showing its strength and what I mean by that is the splat factor is noticeably more dramatic with the WSM. I have a couple 17HMR's, a Savage HBSS model 93/17HMR and a Savage HB A17 semi auto 17HMR but my Sav. HB SS Bmag that I've kind of customized is my "go to" sage rat gun and the other two just go along as backup or loaner guns.

For factory made off the shelf 17 WSM's I think Savage with their Bmag and now they have a new A17 semi auto 17WSM coming out is about all there is. Ruger made a real nice looking 17WSM on in their Model 77 line but I'm not sure if they're still making those and I can't remember the last time I saw one for sale. Franklin Armory makes AR platform 17WSM's and I believe you can get those in complete rifles or just an upper to add to your AR15 if you have one.

The nicest 17 WSM on the market is the one from TS Customs built on a RimX action. They're a full custom rifle and very nice but they also start at around $4500 and go up from there.

As much as I like the 17WSM right now I wouldn't really recommend one unless you already have a source for a good amount of ammo because it has become nearly nonexistent. Up until a couple days ago I hadn't seen any 17WSM anywhere, in stores or on the internet, for about 9 months. I did see some at LAX ammunition the other day but it was $28 a box which is the highest I've ever seen it.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:54 PM
Supporting Member

I wish you'd have sent it my way, jim.

It's likely an ammo issue with the 17 WSM, but since the rifle has a floating bolt head, this cures any rifle related problems related to the floating bolt head. Look for the bolt shim kits under the 77/22 tab. Every 77 rifle I've owned gets a shim/s, whether it really needs it or doesn't, to reduce head space on the floating bolt head which always improves accuracy in those rifles by pushing the cartridge forward to sit tighter in the chamber.

I've helped a bunch of people turn one of those famous internet inaccurate "pos" rifles into a nice handling, accurate rifle with just a cheapy bolt shim.

It also solves "fail to fire" with ammo that might be a bit short on head space determined by the cartridge rim. (not the rifle's problem per se.) With the 17 WSM ammo, it was poorly sprayed in primer compound in a few lots of early ammo.

https://www.triggershims.com/ruger_m77.php

EDITED TO ADD: Of the two cartridges, I prefer the 17 WSM cartridge hands down over the 17 HMR beyond 100 yards. I also own a 77/17 in HMR, and I've never had a failure to fire with the HMR cartridge. But a shim did help its accuracy too.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-31-2022 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Edit.............
Old 05-31-2022, 12:33 AM

Like BCB mentions, those in the know, have installed the bolt shim kits and really improved the preformance of thier 17HSM's.
Well worth the small amount they cost.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:32 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Like BCB mentions, those in the know, have installed the bolt shim kits and really improved the preformance of thier 17HSM's.
Well worth the small amount they cost.
The first rifle that I tried it on was a boat paddle stainless 22 LR many years ago. Accuracy was improved considerably. Since then, over the years I've used the shims on a bunch of 17 and 22 caliber Ruger rifles. Without fail, it's been a good, cheap, and simple addition to those rifles.

And no........ I didn't Google this. It's been my experience.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-31-2022 at 03:34 AM. Reason: wording, clarity............
Old 05-31-2022, 10:06 AM

Default I can’t add much....

The OP has a valid question and like most others here I have both and like both.
Would I advise a new shooter to get a 17WSM?
That is a tough question, a 17HMR can do what you need out to the distance you would switch out to a small centerfire on colony varmints anyway.I happen to like the better splat factor on little vermin and the idea of a rimfire stoked with a 20 grain V-Max that can go 3000fps also should help a bit on foxes and coyotes better at reasonable ranges.Most of us that reside here don’t need another gun,we Want another gun.I am happy I have both and glad I bought enough 17WSM to last me.The current sh#$storm caused by our administration hopefully passes in a couple years and we will all get back to normal
I would love to see CCI produce 17WSM one day,if and when that happens it’s future would be much brighter.Until that day I will keep on shooting what I have
and praying that this country returns to normal.
Matt

Last edited by 17VLD; 05-31-2022 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:42 PM

I have two .17wsm's, they do tend to be very ammo sensitive but with a good lot they can be very accurate.

Some 100 yard groups and a 200 yard group, these were shot with the suppressor on.

A three shot 100 yard group my gunsmith fired after he bedded the B-Mag in a Boyd's stock.

There is a lot of potential in the round when you have good ammo.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:51 PM

I don't own a WSM, but have shot a CZ 453 in HMR for a decade or so. I considered the WSM for a long while, even borrowing a buddy's Savage B-Mag for a live fire trial. I decided that as the HMR reaches it's useful range, I have a quiver of centerfires that pick up where it leaves off. Due to the known issues of the rifles chambered in 17 WSM, coupled with the almost inevitable ammo shortages that low popularity rimfires suffer from, I decided I was good with an HMR and a few quality 22 LR's, backed up by a bunch of accurate small bore centerfires.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:53 PM
Supporting Member

I can still load 50 center fire for the cost of 50 17 WSM rimfire ammo and the CF it is way more accurate. Loading 17 H, 22 H or 17 FB on a Dillon, you can crank out a lot of rounds in a couple of hours. Outside of the loading time saved buying rimfire, I do not see an upside to WSM.