Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-08-2008, 02:56 AM

Default 5mm/35 SMC

Anybody got one of these things or thinking of one? I just got my PS mag tonight and there is a very comprhensive article. I actually had to read it twice to believe some of the stuff I was reading. Basic case capacity as the 204, 4600fps with 32gr. 4100+ with 40gr. with less recoil, less pressure, better bbl life[ as in 6000-7000 rounds], extreme spread in single digits, yikes!!!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:50 AM

Sounds a lot like stories I have heard in bars very late at night, kind of like a "magic bullet". I don't think there are any free rides like that in this universe. I have however touched 4,600fps with a 26 inch slow twist barreled 22-250 and 30gr Bergers. Larry

Last edited by trotterlg; 05-08-2008 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:46 AM

It's all bs. If you want to read more bs hype, go to their website. Not only the most boring site in existence, it's also full of complete nonsense. Notice with all the favorable comparisons to other cartridges, nobody ever compares it to the .20BR. That's because of what they don't tell you....the cartridge is simply a .20BR with the shoulder slightly bulged. That's it. Velocity is no better or worse than a .20BR, accuracy is no better either. That whole cartridge is scam.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:28 AM

Default 5mm/35 SMC

I haven't seen the article in P.S. but I've read a little about the cartridge. I agree with Ackman. It's been pretty well established that case shape has very little to do with the pressure/ velocity relationship. If you burn a similar amount of powder at a certain pressure, you're going to get a similar velocity and a similar barrel life. I think it's a lot of "smoke and mirrors". JMHO
Bob
Old 05-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Supporting Member

I had considered this round before it's arrival but went for a .20 Dasher instead.
The reason I decided on the dasher was a lot less technical than the Precision Shooting article, I don't personally like the look of the pregnant bulge of the shoulders on the SMc's.
My .20 Dasher is an improved .20BR with a 40 degree shoulder, mine was designed around the 40 grain V-Max and I shoot em naked. I also use a considerably slower powder than the author seems to favor, I use N540. I'm sure a faster powder would do more with less but I think I'll error on the side of caution.
I've posted these before so please forgive the redundancy.

Left to right: .20 VarTarg, .20 Killer Bee, .20 Tactical, .20 BR and last but certainly not least. The .20 Dasher. As to consistency of loads with 40 grain V-Max's.

I had this rifle built as a tool for long range rock chuck thumping. I took these three the first time out with it. as memory serves the one on the right was the first one it shot and I do remember the range was a Leica'd 497 yards (I remember it clearly cause I seriously wanted the first kill to be 500 yards or over) bummer! Ego-Ego.

Is one a better round than the other? I sure wouldn't claim that! Truthfully I see em close enough ballistically to where the barrel and rifle build would make the difference, not the case design. In other words, near ballistic twins. As to some of the more profound claims for the SMc keep in mind the fellow is selling em, what's he gonna say? They might all be true, I'm sure not a ballistician with the credentials to prove him wrong. In reality it doesn't matter, I'm sure it's a fine round. I do know Greg Tannel built my rifle and it shoots better than I can.
If Mr. McPherson's rifle shoots and performs better than my Wildcat good on him! As for me if there's a benefit to be had with his over what this .20 Dasher offers I really don't care and I assure you that's not "Sour Grapes", I just already couldn't be any more pleased.

Last edited by montdoug; 05-08-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Supporting Member

Talking As long as the ego's involved

I forgot this which is one of it's 1st 5 shot groups.

This I believe was the 4,200+ load. Turn Greg Tannel loose on a 40XBR and even a cretin like myself can shoot an occasional good group.

Here it is at work doing the job it was designed for.

Does quite well at it I might add.
I got cabin fever something awful guys! Raining like a pig out there!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 PM

Montdoug thanks for that post. I just ordered a stolle panda to build a 20 br on and then read that PS article and was seriously wondering if I need to order a 5/35 smc reamer instead
Old 05-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Supporting Member

Trevort, if you were to decide you wanted an SMc it appears to me everything around it is patented and you'll pay through the nose at every turn.
The .20 BR is a great round as many here can attest and if you did decide for what ever reason to go for a bit more horsepower just punch the shoulders forward on the BR to 40 degrees and you have a Dasher. .22 Dasher dies already made etc (just change bushings and buy a Wilson .20 cal seating stem top). Be that as it may the logic of going beyond the .20BR anyway is certainly debatable to many I'm sure. Heck, shoot it as a .20BR till the throat moves forward a bit then take a slice off the barrel, run a .20 dasher reamer in and start over more or less.
My loads are lower end I might add, no sense getting completely stupid when when your already almost there anyway . With the accuracy it's getting and the performance where it's at already I saw no Earthly reason to take it farther.
Definitely a specialized tool that won't be shot a great deal but it sure does the trick when called on.
Personal call only but as I said, I just like the look of the .20 Dasher a lot better and regardless of the hype I think the differences are minimal.
You'll have fun no matter what ya decide to do, keep us posted.

Last edited by montdoug; 05-08-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:33 PM

Its a bunch of Clap Trap!!!! Its already been said but its all been patented the dies,brass,reamers etc. So you are going to pay out the yang for anything and my understanding only riflesmiths they say can chamber for the 5mm/35SMC. My thought is with everyone else go with a 20BR or 20 PPC you won't be sorry. I like the 20 PPC a little better.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambob View Post
I haven't seen the article in P.S. but I've read a little about the cartridge. I agree with Ackman. It's been pretty well established that case shape has very little to do with the pressure/ velocity relationship. If you burn a similar amount of powder at a certain pressure, you're going to get a similar velocity and a similar barrel life. I think it's a lot of "smoke and mirrors". JMHO
Bob
Really? You might want to ask the 99.9% of the benchrest shooters on the planet that shoot the 6PPC for pretty much those exact reasons actually.