Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-15-2009, 08:20 PM

Default Thompson Contender in 17 Mach II

Any one here or anyone you know try this combo weather it be standard or custom shop Thompson barrel in 17 Mach 2 ? What ammo worked good for you? Very interested in any info or thoughts you have on this and thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:49 PM

Default T/C Contender G 2 rifle in 17 Mach II is great fun!

I have a factory T/C G 2 barrel in 17 Mach II that I purchased new when they first became available. I installed a Stratton frontend hanger bar system before I shot the rifle.

The first time I shot the rifle at 50 yards, I was initially very disappointed, because it looked like I only had the first shot on the target and the next four couldn't be found; until I went up to examine the target and all five rounds were in one very small hole.

The barrel seems to like all brands of 17 M II ammo, with the weather/wind conditions at any one moment being the paramount accuracy determinant. Therefore, I have stock-piled ammo that has come on sale (usually under $4.00) and have shot, Eley, Hornady, Federal, Remington, and CCI ammo.

The 17 M II in a T/C is superbly accurate, quiet, not overly expensive round to shoot, and great as a small game round out to about 75-80 yards (squirrel head shots).
Old 04-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Supporting Member

I have one in SS with the 23" Bull. Super Accurate squirrle gun. It does everything the HMR does but with half the noise and price.
________
Earthquake insurance advice
________
Volcano vaporizers

Last edited by ab_bentley; 09-10-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 PM

Default Not so lucky

I bought a factory barrel to use in a 17AH project. Never could get a minute of soda can out of it. Sold it.

Tom
Old 04-16-2009, 05:43 PM

IME most firearms chambered for either one of the 17 rimfires are fairly accurate right out of the box "with the ammo(s) they prefer". IOW, every firearm likes one or two ammo choices better than all the others. And if you really want to split hairs, the lot number makes a difference too. I have six 17 rimfires, three HMR's and three HM2's, and keep 4 different preferred ammo choices on hand between them.

Aim small to hit small.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Supporting Member

I don't have a TC but my CZ really dotes on CCI. I'd buy a box of each and hit the range.
I really like the little fella, great gopher smacker.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:52 AM

UpNearTheBorder,

Here's a link to my HM2 data from testing with my two Contender barrels. Have a 14" & a 23". Both are reasonably accurate and have rifle scopes mounted on them. Groups were all shot at 59 yds, that is the distance from the cinder block BBQ grill/shooting bench to the berm at the back of the yard. Tested every brand of ammo that I could lay hands on.

HM2 Test Data

Hope this helps you out.

Calaveras County, California, USA

Old 04-18-2009, 01:28 AM
Supporting Member

Man... let this thread die out!! I have a factory 17 HM2 barrel (long barrel) sitting here for a donor project (for the 5.7X28 case) and heaven knows I have enough HM2s already!!! U-guys will have me scoping it and I will be looking for another donor barrel!!!
Old 04-18-2009, 06:35 AM

Just ignore it Gary, you don't need a barrel that will shoot minute of eyeball and relaibly take peekers to 100-125 yards anyway. No challenge in that. Besides, you don't want even more good, cheap fun do you? Go ahead, make it into something more exotic (expensive) and labor intensive. LOL

BTW, one of my three HM2's is a Contender 14", and two of my three HMR's are Contenders (20" & 14"). Rest are CZ, Ruger and Marlin, but I prefer the Contenders over the others.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Supporting Member

You are a naughty boy Ladobe!!!

I suppose that I should see how it shoots before rechambering it anyhow...

Ok, ok… it’s getting scoped this weekend.... I guess this wasn't the first time you suckered me into something! LOL

Thanks and hope all has been well with ya lately!!!