Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 PM

Default I understand now

I shot the 17 AH. Now I get it.

I took 5 rounds out to the field to make sure it was a good FF load (11gr H4198 under a 25gr hornady HP). It was, perfect shoulders in my MGM barrel, no split anything. I loaded up the rest of the bag and I'll shoot them on Friday.

It is so much fun. Zero recoil, just a little pop with only light foam earplugs. The barrel is a 20" encore tapered down to 1/2" at the muzzle (effectively shilen #2 taper). It is so short that it just points and swings like a pellet gun. I can't wait to shoot it for groups.

I can see where these things could get addictive.

Thanks
Rick
Old 05-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Supporting Member

Uh-oh...you're in trouble now. These are the first signs of the disease "smallcaliberitis".

Better go bury your wallet now, before it starts to increasingly "leak" money for more small caliber rifles...

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 05-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Supporting Member

I think a lot of good strong men have fell to that darn 17 AH leading them down a road of all kinds of fun stuff!!! Hope to hear more and see some pics!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:54 AM
Supporting Member

First you get it . Then it get's you!!

It's a dandy ain't it?

What's next??
Old 05-06-2009, 04:11 AM

Building a 17AH was the worst and best thing I ever did. I miss my 17AH from time to time. I sold it to explore biger and brighter horizons. If I ever find the right action I will have another. I will say one thing, that 17AH and this board has upped my game at reloading and accuracy shooting about 100 fold. I will never be at the level most of these guys are, but the 17Ah is where it started.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 AM

Hi guys,

I could see a browning repeater in my future. I already have a 223 and have no need to go bigger. I have the CZ 221FB in the gun cabinet that dad is getting in a few months. Once I shoot it we'll see if I need one for myself. I'm going to need a 20, maybe a vartarg. Then again, a big 17 or 20 is appealing too (like a 17 pred or 20 BR). Who knows. I think I'll just have to see what other deals I can get on actions and what they are good for.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 05-09-2009, 05:01 PM

casts by fly,

Don't forget the pistol barrels if you have the Encore or Contender pistol. Makes a really flat shooting handgun.

Calaveras County, California, USA

Old 05-10-2009, 02:25 PM

You know, I was just thinking about that a few hours ago. I took the AH out to finish fireforming (93 rounds perfectly). As I was sitting in the car with it on the passenger seat, I was thinking about a 12" barrel. I had considered a 12" barrel because I can shoot it as a rifle here, and as a pistol back in the states. When I considered how short it would be, I got to thinking that I need one soon. A 12" heavy barrel pistol would be pretty cool.

Thanks
Rick
Old 05-10-2009, 06:30 PM

12" length is what my 17 AH Contender barrel is. Got it back in '91 from Bullberry. Gets 3200 fps with a moderate load, topped with a 20 gr VMax. Have a Burris 3-12 pistol scope mounted. Use a Harris Bipod to help steady it. Longest shot to date is a 289 yd prairie dog.

Here's how she looks.

Makes my trigger finger itch, just looking at the pic.

Calaveras County, California, USA