Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 08-22-2009, 04:11 AM

Default Vartarg rifle build

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and I'm very excited about my new find. Looks like the jackpot of forum's for small caliber firearms.
I'm looking for some direction on an anticipated rifle build in a 20 Vartarg. The purpose of this rifle will be for varminting and BR matches in 100/200 LV/HV competition. With that said what is your take on this being realistic? Is there hope on this little caliber being competitive with the 6PPC? I will say I like being different and the odd ball in the bunch. Nothing would give me more satisfaction than being average to above average competing against the supposed cadilac of bench rest rifles.
So here is the challenge - I want to build this rifle from the best of the best, keeping in mind that I still want it user freindly to take out in the gopher batch and shoot off of bags for the day.
Please let me know your suggestions on the three major components:
Stock, barrel and action.
Any other information that you may think would be important to achieve my goal is certainly welcomed. Thanks and LFTYR's

Last edited by chevy; 08-22-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:17 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Moore
Smile

First of all welcome aboard.
I will try to give you some info. from my expierence. I have owned no less than 8 PPC based Bench rifle in 17, 20, 6mm as well as a 20 VT. What you are asking for is quite a feat and very unlikely.
The object of Benchrest shooting is to shoot 5 - 5 shot groups per match and get your ave. of the 5 totaled. Without question the 6 PPC is king for consistantly shooting small groups. While the 20 VT is an accurate round I think you will find it is not consistant enough to keep up.
You will be able to shoot some small groups but can you do it over and over that is the question. I have a gun currently for sale that is a potential winner capable of shooting aggs. in the .1s but not in my hands. I don't read the wind well enough to do it on a consistant basis and don't have the time to devote to make it happen.
Yes I have shot some very small groups .0-.1s. but not when it mattered.
The 20 VT is great for what it is intended and that is a mid range Super Rat Smacker.
If you go to Benchrest.com and look at the results of the Super shoot you will see that the Best of the Best shooters are only agging in the low .2s.
Not only does the gun have to be up to the task but so does the shooter.
It's a lot tougher than it sounds.
When we had our Small caliber postal shoot all of the 1/4" all day guns seemed to agg closer to 1/2" than 1/4" and in a big shoot that will put you at the bottom of the pack.
If the 20 VT is what you want then by all means go for it you may just surprise alot of people.
Good luck with your project.
Dave
Old 08-22-2009, 01:43 PM

Smile Actions, barrels, and stocks

Chevy, Just my 2 cents, for whatever cartridge you choose.

I would use a BAT action
A Lilja, Kreiger, Brux or any other great barrel
And of course McMillan or other comparable stock

D
Old 08-22-2009, 02:15 PM

Default Vartag

It's a very good varmint gun.

But if the final analysis what Dave Moore said.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:18 PM

BAT, Borden, Farley for the action

IME with small calibers. I doubt there is any better than Pac-Nor. They have really dialed in 17 and 20s. I do have a Broughten 5C 6mm that is unbelievbly smooth.

I shot a match about a week ago, varmit for score no flags. Short range 1,2,300yards with a 13pound 6BR. I could not get close to the PPC guys shooting 10.5lb guns. I am not even close to mediocre right now but those 6PPCs bored a hole. My limited expereince with the BR game is 30BR or 6PPC. 30BR for score, 6PPC for group shoots. Dave could not have said it any better.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Supporting Member

By far one of the most forgiving rounds I have ever worked with, the 20 VT. Here's a load test I did with it,http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6185. I would say that if you are going to try the BR game with it, use quality componets, no sparing of expense. You'll need it since you're working with a handicap already. As a varmint gun, very few are more efficent or easy to work with.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:10 AM

Default Thanks for the feedback and direction

With the response I've had so far it looks like building two rifles would be the ticket - the vartarg and a 22ppc. Any reason at all to build a rifle is a good enough one for me Just have to fool the wife somehow
I presently have a T/C prohunter in .204 and a Sako A1 in a 221 Fireball. I'm thinking I will go for the ppc first as it will replace my 204 - that's the story the wife will here anyway Thanks so much for your input, I'm off to go check out what would be best for the 22ppc build.
Any and all suggestions on this build would be appreciated.
Cheers
Old 08-23-2009, 10:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Moore

Chevy,
if you are going to build the 22 PPC as a dedicated BR rifle pick the best components you can afford.
As Dasherr said a cusom action and barrel.
Look at the equipment list of the winners at any of the big matches and you will see the trend right now leans toward Bat actions and Krieger barrels and any of the top name composite stocks.
My favorite is the Robertson because there are no visible seams and the finish is so good that they don't need painted.
As far as calibers go the 6PPC is King but if you decide on the 22 PPC look at the .100 short version. The 22 in standard length seems to be case to bore ratio a little over bore. By shortening .100 you can get a full case of N133 in it with no air space which seems to be the powder of choice for best
accuracy.
Good luck on your project and DON'T FORGET THE PICTURES .
Dave
Old 08-24-2009, 06:08 AM

Chevy, you sound like me a couple of years ago and Dave sounds like my gunsmith and all the other competitive shooters I spoke to.

If you want to be serious at short range BR then it has to be a 6 PPC (I wanted a 20PPC at the time) or you are giving an advantage to people who are already going to be better (because of experience) shots than you.

After ordering my rifle I met my second wife and diverted the funds to another project ( a 500m fly target rifle for her) as I realised I did not have the time to practice enough to be any good. Do you have time for practice?
Old 08-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Default trevort

Up till now, my first love (figure of speach) is out in the gopher patch. I just recently went to my first LV/HV BR shoot and rather enjoyed it (I used my 221 Fireball and 204 T/C). Sure I got my butt kicked but I may be hooked - granted BR competitions are few and far between in my neck of the woods so it is not something I will be doing regularly.
My thoughts are if I have the chance, I will have a rifle that will be somewhat competitive at the odd BR shoot but will still be primiarly used as a varmint rifle.
I'm presently building a 6BR. This rile was built primarily to shoot yotes out to 600 yrds, but now that I have tried BR, will possibly take in the odd F class BR competition.
After spending several hours reading posts on this site I'm thinking I could build a rifle that would replace my 204 and be comeptitive as a LV/HV BR shooter and still be used out in the field.
I'm presently considering the 22ppc or 20ppc.
I am fairly new to the sport of precision shooting so any direction that you have to offer would be sweet