Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 02-07-2020, 02:19 PM

Default Zipper Coming To Life

Beginning to take shape. Didn't realize it was soooooo hard to find gloss bases, rings and scope. Scope is a 6.5-20 Leupold Vari-X III (Old School) Tall elevation turret, fine crosshair with small dot. Base is Warne and rings are Burris Signature. Grip set is Georgia Jim Wildfire.
Primed brass (50 proper headstamped 219 Zipper) last night. Have a box of Sierra 52 grain BTHP Match bullets I think I will start with. Probably be next week before I get to shoot.
Safe shooting
Doug

Old 02-07-2020, 03:03 PM
Supporting Member

tred, is that a factory barrel, noticed it had a single forend screw. How's the eye relief with that scope? Ga. Jim makes good stocks for the Contender.
Old 02-07-2020, 03:18 PM

Yes it is a factory barrel. Special order I think. NEW Never fired. It is mounted with a hanger bar system. Eye relief is short, but I am used to it on my smaller caliber Contenders. Use rifle scopes on All of them Tried most of the custom grip sets but like the way Jim's ride the rest
Safe shooting
Doug
Old 02-07-2020, 04:01 PM
Supporting Member

Doug if you have available the ABC's Of Reloading put out by Gun Digest it shows the 1st barrel going to Dean Grennell. They made several runs of those barrels I think. I have a set of Ga Jim's Blk/Yel on my 17 Killer Bee 14''' barrel. I use reg rifle scopes on the Killer Bee and my XP 20 Jav Imp too. I was thinking maybe the 219 Zipper might be a little iffy due to recoil in the Contender. I have a 219 in my Luxus and there's some recoil. I really like your project. Congratulations.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:03 PM
Supporting Member

Doug if you have available the ABC's Of Reloading put out by Gun Digest it shows the 1st barrel going to Dean Grennell. They made several runs of those barrels I think. I have a set of Ga Jim's Blk/Yel on my 17 Killer Bee 14''' barrel, they are great stocks. I use reg rifle scopes on the Killer Bee and my XP 20 Jav Imp too. I was thinking maybe the 219 Zipper might be a little iffy due to recoil in the Contender. I have a 219 in my Luxus and there's some recoil. I really like your project. Congratulations.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:57 PM

Have a 219 Wasp with Yellow & Black Ga Jim grip set. It wears a Leupold rifle scope also and I haven't had any issues with it yet, BUT I am very careful LOL Don't heal like I used to. Also have a 17AH. 17/222 Rem, 20 Tac & 20 VarTarg with rifle scopes
Thanks
Doug
Old 02-07-2020, 09:05 PM

Been raining for two days. 20+ MPH winds and 48 today. (Yes I am getting tender in my old age) LOL Any way I now have ammo and am ready to play . Original 219 Zipper brass with CCI primers & 28.0 grains of H4895 topped with Sierra 52 GR BTHP Match bullets. Maybe tomorrow or next week for sure. Should be enough to get scope dialed in and see if it likes the 52 grain pills. Will post results. Just love the OLD ODDBALL Cartridges.

Safe Shooting
Doug

Old 02-07-2020, 10:19 PM

That's a sexy beast!

I love the look of laminate stocks on pistols.

I have wanted to get a contender on multiple occasions but barrels are so expensive for them now that it just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

May still do a rear grip savage striker one day.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:03 PM

May BE a Shooter. This was using brass that I was reforming back to Zipper (Had been blown out to Zipper IMP) Seeing if it was worth the trouble. What I would love to do is find someone who would trade Regular 219 Zipper (with proper headstamp) for my 219 Zipper IMP (Proper Headstamp). But I know that is a very long shot.
Safe shooting
Doug

Old 02-13-2020, 02:28 AM

Picture of the 219 Twins 16 INCH OTT 219 Wasp & 14 Inch TC 219 Zipper
Safe shooting
Doug