Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-29-2017, 10:10 PM

Default Playing with retirement plans Need Boise, ID info

Good afternoon all:

The wife and I were talking the other evening about Washington State following California's path against firearm owners, dealers and manufacturing. Did you see that Olympic Arms has shut down? The new laws may not be the whole reason but it would and did make me give up my state and FFL. Anyway she said that if I wanted to move out of Washington we could start looking at places to go. Idaho is one of the places on the top of the list. This morning we both found a place South of Boise and North of Mountain Home that appealed to us. It has nothing that we had spec out for our search but that is beside the point.

Does anyone on this forum have experience in that area. I see a lot of den digs with Google Earth in the unfarmed land around this area, they can't all be badgers so are their Prairie Dogs there? I don't remember seeing any when driving through several years ago. One of the places is just flat land to the west of US84. Looks pretty flat to me from what I can see.

Thank you for any insight into this area

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 01-29-2017, 10:25 PM

Default Playing with retirement

Can not help you with that area, but I have friends that have moved to the Challis and also Orfino (?) area and are happy as larks with the gun and hunting laws in that area. They each, along with their families are really enjoying the hunting and fishing in Idaho. They both left Kalifornia within the last 2 years. Bill K
Old 01-30-2017, 01:11 AM

Unfortunately, we have no Prairie Dogs in Idaho except for a very few White-tailed in the southeast corner of the state. The digs you are seeing on Google Earth are ground squirrel mounds. The big mounds are ground squirrel mounds dug up by badgers. There are a lot of ground squirrels here and provide endless shooting for 3-4 months each year but we have had the plague the last two years. Numbers are noticeably reduced but still endless shooting. The unfarmed land is similar to farmed land in that the shooting becomes more difficult when the grass/crops grow too tall to see the squirrels.

Cal
Old 01-30-2017, 02:57 AM

Default Playing with retirement

Nothing wrong with only ground squirrels, my area has no prairie dogs either, but a good number of ground squirrels, of two types. A small version and a slightly larger one. When you find fields with a good number of them, they give you a very good shoot during most of the early spring and into late summer. Bill K
Old 01-30-2017, 03:21 AM

Lowell,

Not sure what your "Business" plans are, but if you are still going to need to be close to commerce, I would suggest Pocatello. It is on intersection of I-84 and I-15...Close to Boise and Salt Lake and close to Yellowstone and Tetons....If those places are of interest.

Pocatello went through an almost complete collapse of its commercial livelihood about 20-25 years ago, but has bounced back with a very healthy economic growth....It is nestled in the Portneuff River valley that protects it from a lot of the more severe weather in the open Snake River Valley areas. Also, has the Idaho State University campus and is a nice little diverse city.

Boise and Idaho Falls have had such tremendous growth that they both have severe traffic issues, especially during commuting hours during the week!

'Course, this is the opinion of a Wyoming guy where the whole state has less people than in and surrounding Boise.

So,.....you know you still have an open invitation to come to Lander and check out what is currently happening here and in the rest of Wyoming!

The Governor here, is on the lookout for more arms manufacturers and supporting businesses....he just got back from the Shot Show to personally invite businesses to our Arms business Friendly State to relocate or expand!

Bill
Old 01-30-2017, 03:28 AM

I think you will find the smaller ground squirrels are Richardson's G.S. and the larger ones are Columbia G.S.

Here in BC, the Columbia G. S. come out the latest in the spring and go back underground to hibernate prior to August 24th. no matter what the temperature is, not to be seen again until mid to late April. I am told by friends in Montana, they 'paint' the snow quite early around Bozeman.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Lowell:

I haven't been out that way since '75 so things surely are different now.
I really liked Boise area and Ontario OR, Bend too, back then. I know a GREAT ortho doc from there that was here, then moved back home. Michael Daines, he works at the Boise hosp. I was going to have him do my shoulder replacements but, I got sick before he could and he was gone home before I was ready. His partner here did them. Daines is a shooter hunter too, so IF you get there, be sure and look him up and tell him I sent you. I believe he's a third generation ortho doc from what I read. Read his bio on the web.

Bill, only thing wrong with Whyhoming is it's so damned cold in winter!
Plus, 95% of the state is treeless too. Love that rolling grassland though.

Best to you both.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 01-30-2017, 04:04 PM

Default Boise

Eagle_view; I grew up in Boise when the population was 74,000 now there are 205,671 so I don't recognise the place (moved to Utah in 80 for a job, your home is where your job is) but it's (Boise Valley) still a great place, there are plenty of potguts and big game tags go under subscribed every year.
Too bad a guy has to move for a job or political reasons. Good luck to you.
sgtg out
PS It is Boy-see no Z in Boise!!!
Old 01-30-2017, 04:35 PM

Thank you all for the input. I did not remember there being any Prairie Dogs in that part of the west when driving through several years ago on the way to Sheridan, WY to shoot some. It would be great to have gophers to shoot at. For several years we went down to South Central Oregon to shoot them over the hay fields. I have been frustrated for nearly 20 years living here on the West wet side of WA. Too many people, very confusing land ownership and regulations for hunting or fishing. etc.

With a gun safe full of rifles, Contender and Encore barrels we are very well set up to partake in the shooting sports in Idaho. My wife grew up on a GI Homestead near Burley until her folks bought a 850 acre Cattle Ranch West of Priest Lake, ID. We hunted Northern Idaho a lot when we were first married, bear, deer, coyote and gopher, I would sure like to do that again.

Again thank you.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 01-30-2017, 07:14 PM

Between Boise and Mountain home is a great area for retiring.
I'm west of there in Nampa.
Rock chucks and ground squirrels for the shooting. Big game aplenty also.

All the honey holes are taken. Sorry, you retired to late to acquire one.

Drop me a PM for more information if you'd like.