on all my guns IF it's possible.

My carry snubby smith is about 4#.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-28-2020, 10:27 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
I was reminded of this lesson when I was teaching my girlfriend to shoot. She had bought a S&W revolver (38Spl) for self-defense. At 3 yards she was consistently hitting the target in the head. I was impressed and then watched her carefully...she was aiming for the chest! The effort to draw the double action trigger was so much for her that it caused her entire hand to tighten resulting in her hand position pulling back and up. The result was a consistent 1' shift in POI from where she had intended. At any further distance her shots would be going over people's heads. Also, it didn't help that the revolver's recoil felt like catching a hardball bare-handed.

I handed her several different polymer semi-autos and even a 1911. She shot incredibly well. Both the trigger and better recoil of semi-auto caused me to loose my carry pistol that day...

Very good and valid points... Hood thing you was observant like that with the head shots... always a good day to loose your carry gun like that... means you get to go shopping again lol
Old 02-28-2020, 10:32 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
I'm too heavy handed, half of mine are numb from
regular beatings on 'em. I don't even want to be
around a trigger less than 3#'s.

Before he died I had all my revolvers worked over til
they're not much over that too. I like a consistant wt
on all my guns IF it's possible.

My carry snubby smith is about 4#.
Years ago when I shots Rems 6 br with a 6oz Trigger is when I realized that I must have a little numbness in my finger too lol

As odd as this sounds, I don’t really have a certain poundage I set my triggers too. Sometimes a 1-1/2 lb trigger might feel like a 2 or 2-1/2 lb trigger. Not sure why or how it is possible? So I adjust them to where they are safe for how I use them and feel good to me.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
Years ago when I shots Rems 6 br with a 6oz Trigger is when I realized that I must have a little numbness in my finger too lol

As odd as this sounds, I don’t really have a certain poundage I set my triggers too. Sometimes a 1-1/2 lb trigger might feel like a 2 or 2-1/2 lb trigger. Not sure why or how it is possible? So I adjust them to where they are safe for how I use them and feel good to me.
Once again we agree on a few things, Gary.

To me a trigger that breaks cleanly and consistently with a slight "safety factor" built in works for me. By a safety factor I mean considering how is the trigger used - hunting or bench - and in what weather conditions.

For example I might be able to function just fine in sunny and warm South Texas with a trigger set at some point that feels good to me. However, if I use that same rifle in Wyoming under cold weather conditions, I might not like how it works with gloves and/or cold fingers. In a situation such as that, I'll adjust the trigger to be safe and fully functional for my needs for the worst conditions and learn to live with it in other more better weather conditions.

With children, having a "safety factor" built in is even more critical in my feeble mind. So, I guess in that same feeble mind that there is no magical level for anyone without considering the child and how the rife might be used, including all possible shooting and hunting conditions.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 03-04-2020 at 10:34 PM.