Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 AM

Default Way OT White island fishing NZ

Hope nobody minds just thought i would share what myself and 7 other mates go up to on our fishing trip.We left on sunday night for a overnight trip to White Island an active volcano in the Bay of Plenty,north island NZ home of some of best fishing in the country if not the world.What a trip! if you ever get down this way it is a must do .Plenty of fish and beer ya can't go wrong!!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Supporting Member

Looks like a great time!
I've heard of a fish down that way called a baramundi, suppose to be hell on wheels for fighting.
I'm truly jealous brno, we got two and a half ft of snow on the flat and it was -20F when I got up a couple mornings ago .
If I wanna catch a fish now I gotta cut a hole in the ice to do it.....Actually that ain't all bad either .
Send me some fillets huh?
Old 11-30-2010, 05:45 PM

Hi doug
We dont get barramundi here in NZ they are a aussie fish and yep they can fight!What we get over here is Yellowtailed Kingfish which can weigh over 40kg and are the meanest and dirtiest fighters out, I caught 3 on the trip all small ones just under a meter long,using 37KG [80 pound] gear and the biggest one damm near pulled me over the side I wanted to do this trip in March 2011 for my 50th birthday but they where booked solid from christmas so this was one of the few dates they had left, man what a birthday present We are allready planning our next trip in a years time.
I have my own boat but White island is about 30 miles offshore too far to go in a 15 foot boat, so charter boat it is if we want to go there.I booked this trip 9 weeks ago paid my deposit then promptly broke my left ankle the cast came of a week before the trip,i had told the doctors that i was going even if i had to be tied to the railing, thankfully it didnt come to that! here is a photo of deckhand Zane filleting my 5kg trevally yum smoked trevally my favorite
cheers Ivan
Old 11-30-2010, 09:39 PM

Default Trevally? Crevally??

Hi Ivan,
Is the Trevally the same as the Jack Crevalle? We had those in Hawaii. A guy named Jack Ackerman speared one a long time ago off the Marine Base in Kaneohe. Darn thing weighed 130+ as I recall. I`ll see if I can find a picture of it if interested.
Aloha, Mark
Old 12-01-2010, 12:47 AM

Default Trevally

Hi mark
Trevally are Common around NZ and Aussie right up to the tropics where you get Giant Trevally which are a sub species that grow to humungus sizes.
Quite possibly they are over your way and called something else.The common garden type trevally that i caught is the biggest i have caught but they can get to 10kg in some remote areas. Great Fighting Fish for their size they will try too get to the bottom and bust you off .I live right on the water here in the Bay of Plenty and fished it in my own boat for over 16 years and the trip out to White Island on the weekend was the best trip i have ever had
5KG Trevally with a active volcano in the background