Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 PM

Hi Chris
Auckland is about 2 1/2 hours drive north of me.
The fish was first spotted by me as i was pulling in a 18" long Kahawai [a common sportfish also called australian salmon].At first I thought it was a shark due to its size and the murky water but when it got closer i realized it was a huge Kingfish.Matt quickly claimed the kahawai I had just caught and we put it on a livebait rig and lowered it to near the bottom [about 50 feet] about 10 minutes later the rod tip started bouncing then bent over and started pealing out line,I had to back the drag of to get the rod out of the rod holder and handed it to Matt he tightend the drag up and it promptly took about 200 yards of line of the reel, I quickly pulled the anchor and started to follow the fish worried that it was going to go for the reef as these fish are notorious for doing.Luckily Matt was using his sisters brand new never caught a fish before 37kg rod and reel with 37kg braid if he wasn't using such heavy gear i don't think he could have stopped it before it got to the reef .All in all a pretty exciting mornings fishing and the biggest fish to come on my boat
cheers Ivan

Last edited by 17brno; 03-09-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-09-2011, 11:52 PM

Hi Doug
I have taken the week of work due to being 50 only once and so far it has been blue skies,flat sea's and sunburn!Beautiful autumn weather never mind Doug the snow should be gone soon!! We chopped the fish up would have cost too much to mount it about $1,000. I made crumbed Kingfish cubes with sweet and sour sauce for dinner last night MMMM.
You should come over Doug plenty of huge trout over here and the livebait we caught the Kingfish with are sometimes called trout on steriods due to their jumping and fighting ability and are quite a handfull on a flyrod
cheers Ivan