Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2011, 01:34 AM

Default 20 Vartarg case ejection problems

I have a Rem 700 SA that has been rebarrelled to a 20 Vartarg. It originally was a .223 Rem and the mag box has ben shortened to accomodate the shorter case. It now feeds properly from the magazine but does not eject the fired cases. The fired case is dropped by the bolt just after exiting the chamber. Anybody have a similar problem that has been fixed? If so, how?This is my second such rifle and the first one did not have this problem.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:56 AM

From what I've read the extractor is located at a different position on the bolt face , for a .221 fireball than a .223, to extract the shorter case.
Or you might have a weak ejector spring. Did it eject before being converted to .20 VarTarg ?

Hal

Last edited by Hal; 10-08-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:25 AM
Supporting Member

Yep, the ejector is wrong on the 700SA 223. Adam
Old 10-08-2011, 01:16 PM

Deff.better to start with an FB action. Me been in that trap.
KB.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Supporting Member

Lightbulb A possible cure for your dilemma...

I had a Rem 700 in 223Rem converted to a 221 Fire Ball by my gunsmith Bob Green. I was concerned about the location of the extractor also and Bob recommended relocating the extractor and converting it over to the Sako style extractor. Works like a champ, feeds as good as any of my 223 Remington 700 actions (and I have a few). Bob Green is a very good/talented gunsmith IMHO.
The cost of having the Sako extractor installed in a position that matches the newer Remington 700 221FB actions would not be expensive or time consuming.
If you’re interested you can give him a shout out. Here is his web page and email addy.
http://greensrifles.com/
bob@greensrifles.com

P.S.
FYI... Bob Green is listed under 6mmBR.com's recommended gunsmiths.
Let us know how it all works out.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:52 PM

On a .223 action the extractor position tips the case out into the lug race way. When the case mouth reaches the ejection port there is still enough travel on the ejector to throw the case clear of the action. On the .221 case being so much shorter it tips out at such an angle there is no more travel on the ejector to throw the case when it reaches the port. Remmington cured the problem by repositioning the extractor to the 1 o'clock position. This tips the case against the bolt raceway instead of the lug raceway. Thus when the cartridge reaches the ejection port there is still plenty of ejector travel left to throw the case clear of the action. This does throw the case a little more upward. So the changing of the extractor location as Larry has stated would fix the problem. It is not an ejector problem.
AJ

Last edited by AJx; 10-08-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Thumbs up

Larry, thank you for pointing that out.

I'm sending my .223 into him next week to get rebarreled to a .17FB. I'll mention to him re: the extraction and go with his recommendation.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 PM

Thanks to all for the advice. I ended up having a sako style extractor put on and it now works fine.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:37 PM

Good choice on the Sako ext. My new LVSF .221 wouldn't eject even with the button in the correct position on the bolt face. I reduced the spring coils and reshaped the button and finally got it working to lightly flip cases out of the receiver 90% of the time. Of course, Big Green was absolutely no help.