Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-24-2012, 03:19 AM
Supporting Member

Default First blood from the Cooper

My 17 Cooper went back to the factory for a tune-up, and came back shooting teeny tiny groups, as all Coopers should. A friendly call to ask what they used to poke sub 0.1" 3 shot groups had me buying a box of 50 HSM 20 gn Vmax ammo. The first range session wasn't quite up to the guns potential, so fighting the 90+ heat this afternoon I took the Cooper, a new to me Rem 700 in 17 Fb (Fluted blue heavy barrel gun) and another new gun, a 17 AH Bullberry rig.

Once the new scope on the Cooper , Rem and AH were sighted in at 50 yds, I moved to my 100 yard bullet trap. Dang those high speed pills drill through 1/4" armor plate, so I have added plywood and some carpet behind the cardboard my heavy card stock targets are printed on. BTW, these heavy targets allow one to push in the "chads" on the back and after scotch taping them, the teeny tiny holes look like perfection...lol

So after shooting a 3/8" group with the Fireball I swapped out to the Cooper. After 3 rounds making me very happy, I decided to throw 2 more and also adjust for zero before ending the session. After the 3 were punched, I noticed something moving behind my backstop a long ways away in the neighbors grapes, which means I had a well groomed bare dirt alley to shoot down. After changing the side focus I saw an old jackrabbit, which I have hunted on our farm since 1964 when I had Grandpa's Remington pump. After moving here back in the 70's I had a good run removing them and they seemed to repopulate well at the pace I kept. Now 40 years later , due to Coyote's I need to remove, it is a rare occasion to see a Jack, let alone when I have a gun in hand. I hated to dispatch this jack, but I figured I better draw some blood with it before next spring.

If you are still with me, here is the damage a V-max at 285 yards measured using the 11 foot spacing of our vines and the neighbors

I think I hit him where I aimed.

Group on the Cooper was 0.325". For some reason I had a bad jump when the Cooper torched off, and I think I had a flier in that group as #1 and 2 were looking like the test target, the 17 Fb and AH were like cap guns...

Sorry for the gore, I had the Cooper in hand, balancing it, the shell and my cellphone to snap that picture.

Allen
Old 09-24-2012, 03:42 AM

Poor ol' rabbit!! Just got in the way of a bullet and rifle testing combination!!! Wish I could have used the "new" 17 Fireball yesterday but it's on the way back to REMINGTON to fix the "headspace issue"...........case stretching of .0012 on first firing and .0024 on second firing..........without being able to seat a bullet to lands makes one believe someone didn't know how to set up a CNC machine!!! Not to mention it didn't shoot worth a pee-tinkers damn!!! Charlie (GHD)
Old 09-24-2012, 04:12 AM
Supporting Member

Nothing like nose shots. Good shooting. Adam
Old 09-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks

Yes, having just finished getting it shooting well and knowing where it was grouping made the shot pretty easy, almost unfair, lol. The combination of shooting off a cemented bench on game is rare, if it were a Coyote or a blue jay I would be happier.

Sorry to hear that Charlie, hope big green makes you satisfied. It looks like you did well yesterday as well.

Allen
Old 09-25-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I saw an old jackrabbit which I have hunted on our farm since 1964.....I hated to dispatch this jack, but I figured I better draw some blood with it before next spring.
That is one vintage rabbit there Allen just kidding, nice shot. I'm waiting on my Cooper, 15 months now but I think it's at least left your shore by now.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:54 PM

Speaking of "In Your Face" type shots, this one has cracked me up for years. Rem XR 100, .223, 265 yards.

Last edited by BigUn; 09-25-2012 at 12:57 PM.