Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 11-22-2020, 05:17 PM

Getting there, still need to lengthen the chamber after setting back the barrel and need to come up with a proper scope and mount combo. I have a set of Weaver mounts and a beat up silver Burris 1 1/2-4X as well as a Simmons 2-6X scopes but I want something different. The trigger still needs proper adjusting and a re-blue for the barrel and action.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:59 PM

Nice project report with pics and details. Thanks for sharing.
My humble 2 cents thinks that package would be best with a rifle scope.
I believe you will find a noticeable decrease in felt recoil and jump with that combo of cartridge, stock, and heavier barrel. With my XP and small cal. Contenders a rifle scope gives much better performance.
Looking forward to seeing the final setup and results.

Dave
Old 11-30-2020, 01:52 PM
Supporting Member

if the rear bridge on your action has 2 screws Talley makes a nice ring set for the XP I have a couple and prefer that over a rail gives you added room at the loading port.

ML
Old 12-03-2020, 11:30 PM

I haven't done anything except order a scope base and let the stock finish harden since last. With the Thanksgiving holiday and general rifle season ending the Sunday after there hasn't been much time available. My selection of orphaned scopes is some what limited there's a Simons 3-9X and a Russian 4X (?) that aren't shown that arrived on used rifles. For long eye relief there a dead reliable but ugly 1-4X Burris or the 2-6X Simmons that arrived with the donor XP-100. I use to shoot Silhouettes in the early to mid 1980's. Back then I had trouble getting use to the short eye relief rifle scopes that I tried. But who knows things change in 35 or so years. If I do go for a rifle scope there's a 10X Weaver and a 4-12X fresh back from Leupold after quitting this spring. For starters I'm probably going to use the 1-4X Burris as that's what I'm comfortable with and it's always been reliable. My XP-100 has three screw holes so I ordered a Leupold bridge mount as I already have some low and medium rings around. Ordered the base Monday but they haven't shipped yet probably the wrong time to order if you want something quickly.