Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 PM

Default Cooper

I was at the local gun store today and while I was looking at a brand new model 21 phoenix I noticed that the barrel wasnt free floated, we evwn checked it with a piece of paper. So my question is does that seem odd or is that something that is common? Has anybody else noticed this on their M21?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:01 PM

Default free floated

The barrel should be free floated. What did the guy behind the counter have to say about it?
Old 10-20-2012, 09:12 PM

Default Cooper

Your dollar bill should have slide along the barrel channel.. Bill K
Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 PM

Jwv2001

At first he tried to tell me it was free floated, I told him I don't think it is so he looked at it again, then looked at another one that was obviously free floated and tried to tell me that the rifle was fully bedded (barrel and action) and it is suppose to be that way. after further examination looking through the vents I could see that the barrel was not fully bedded, that is when I aked if I could give it the dollar bill test. the first two inches were touching. He then refered to the target and said it's a good shooter. He said he has been selling coopers for ten years. I can't believe he tried to play it off, but after everything was all said and done he did think it was odd that it wasn't free floated and said he was going to call cooper on monday
Old 10-20-2012, 09:52 PM

That is not an uncommon condition! Especially if the rifle has been in a new environment/location for some while. The wood will change with changes in temperature and humidity! Course, if it is not a wood stock, it is a fault of the factory! But, wood is just not that stable of a product. It moves to suit its environment! I bet it was properly floated at Cooper and has just found its new "body" that needs a little sand paper attention to be at home in your home!
It could be that Mr. B.S., The Salesman, has taken the stock off and did not tighten the action screws properly! After relating what he said to you, this sounds very likely to be the case!
Bill
Old 10-20-2012, 10:04 PM

It has a composite stock.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:08 PM

Never mind!
I still think it is Mr. B.S.-The Stinker!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 PM

I will try to put this as pleasantly as possible. I have a mate who had some real quality control issues with Cooper rifles. They were once renowned as top tier qualiy. Since DC moved on, has anyone noticed a "cheapening" or "short-cutting" out of their factory?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:28 PM

I have one Cooper in a composite stock and one in a walnut stock. That means there are others with way more experience than me. My rifles came to me with the action bedded so nicely that I can read the serial numbers from the barrel in the bedding and the remainder of the barrel generously free floated. What you are describing surprises me, especially on a synthetic stock, despite what the boob on the other side of the counter may or may not have done. Certainly not right. There is no way to deflect the stock THAT much with the action screws considering the aluminum chassis. Offer them dealer cost and take it up with Cooper. Either way, that rifle is going back to Montana for correction. As far as the test target is concerned, it would not show until the barrel started warming up. Not likely on three slow shots. Just my $0.02 worth, from a huge fan of Cooper. Any company can send out a turd, regardless of QC.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:04 PM

I agree totally ramos, with everything you said.
Also it's kind of a blessing in disguise. It was going to be an impulse buy and I don't need to put $1700+ on my credit card. I should really leave that thing at home when I go to the gun shop lol. And I should probably stay if gunbroker and the classifieds while I'm at it haha

Last edited by andy221; 10-20-2012 at 11:12 PM.