Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 11-01-2013, 01:38 PM

Default Custom cz 527

G'day from "down under" Everyone.

I am in the process of building up a custom CZ 527

It has started life as a left handed "lux" 223, But i want it to be more of a light varminter in either 6x45 or 223 rem... As a result, I am after a standard cz 527 left handed "american" stock, or someone who can build a custom stock for me

So far, the rifle build is looking like

Barrel - locally produced Maddco 1:12 6 mm stainless or Lothar walther 1:9 .224 cro-mo barrel

Stock - either an "american" or a custom stock

Scope - Swaro z3 3.5-10x42, z5 3.5-18x44, z6i 2-12x50, or a ziess Victory HT 2.5-10x50, sitting in Lapped Ausinel or CZ rings....

What do you blokes all think? Any suggestions or improvements do you think can be made? if so, please say so, as I want to get this right

Regards,
Jackson.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

jackson i guess it depends on what you plan to thump with the rifle. i have a 6x45 and use it to thump whitetail deer with a 80 gr bullet at 2880 fps, does an admirable job.
brass is easily made from good quality 223 brass and accuracy is steller. check the clip length to make sure you have enough space for the bullet to have a good relation to the lands and not be jumping to far, you may need a zero lead reamer.

good luck
Old 11-02-2013, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
jackson i guess it depends on what you plan to thump with the rifle. i have a 6x45 and use it to thump whitetail deer with a 80 gr bullet at 2880 fps, does an admirable job.
brass is easily made from good quality 223 brass and accuracy is steller. check the clip length to make sure you have enough space for the bullet to have a good relation to the lands and not be jumping to far, you may need a zero lead reamer.

good luck
Hi mate,

Thanks for the advice, I have a bloke over here with a 6x45 who is getting about 3030 fps with 80 grain loads out of a 21" barrel from memory, which is pretty good velocity in my opinion.

I'd probably only shoot up to 80 grainers, as it'd be my "truck rifle" in american terms. So it would shoot pigs, fox's, rabbits and kangaroos as its main diet.

I'm thinking a 70 grain Nosler Ballistic tip or Sierra Blitzking at about 3200 FPS would be murder on the majority of animals it's likely to face up to... I just need to get hold of a stock really.

Regards,
Jackson.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 PM

Hi Jacko, thought you might like this:

Custom 527 i built for my mate Paul, started life as a 223 but is now a .20 practical.

All i did to the action was fit a James Calhoon single shot follower, a PTG bolt knob and add a new extractor claw, trigger was fine and needed no modification
I also recontoured the bottom metal removing the incorporated mag well.

Barrel is a SS 20" No.4 profile Pac Nor suppermatch, threaded 1/2 UNF at the muzzle for a moderator.
The was bedded into a Richards Microfit stock finished with tru-oil.
Scope is a Swaro Z6i sitting in Burris Signature Zee rings.

For this build i also made a form die and a set of Wilson style hand dies as well, cases were formed from Lapua Match 223 and load developement, using 39g Sierra Blitzkings best 5 shot group @ 100yds is .168"
Paul has reported that he has taken crows out to 410yds with this set up

Ian.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 PM

I am told that the Ziess Victory is far better scope than the Z range from Swaro. If you are intent on Swaro the old PVS model is excellent.
Not looked through a Z series but the Ziess is optically faultless.

A
Old 11-22-2013, 04:23 PM

6x45 would be a little more versatile, IMHO. I use two loads that shoot to the same point of impact @ 100 yards. 65 gr. Hornady V-max @ 3150 for varmints & smaller stuff & 85 gr. Sierra Game King @ 2900 for deer/pigs. Mine is a 1 in 10 twist & will stabilize bullets up to 95 gr., unless they are the longer plastic tipped or mono-metal (pure cooper) type. Seat bullets to 2.30" cartridge OAL & they fit in my Sako L469 magazine. 1 in 12 twist will be a little slow if you should ever want to shoot bullets 90 gr. or more. South Africans like the 100 grainers @ around 2400 for the smallish antelope they hunt for meat in the Bush Veld. They say you can eat right up to the bullet hole there is so little meat damage. For the 100 grainers a 1 in 8.5 twist is recommended because the lower velocity lowers the rotational velocity of the bullet. Minimum cartridge OAL is 2.35" with the 100 grainers or the barrel shank will be below the neck mouth. The only 80 gr. game (controlled expansion) bullet I am aware of is the Speer Deep Curl, so it may behove you to confirm a 1 in 12 will stabilize the 85 to 90 gr. bullets or you may deprive yourself of the option of more bullet choices in the future. H335 & IMR 8208XBR are two powders that work good for me. Good Luck with your build. It's one of my favorite rounds!
Old 02-19-2014, 02:15 AM

Default .

+1 for the 6x45. Very versatile round, hard on deer and takes more rounds to overheat than 223 witch is great for varminting!