Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-08-2015, 07:39 PM

Default 22lr shot cartrages

Got myself some rat shooting and that always leads to shooting on the rest of the farm and would like to use my Annie 22lr but dont want to use my normal Eley 40gr subs so looking for short range ammo so has anybody used 22lr shot cartrages and what would be the range of them or the BBcaps or CBcaps if they are still available.
Wally
Old 03-08-2015, 07:59 PM

CCI shot 22lr is the best of the two available here, but you really need to be about 3 feet away for it to be effective. I bought Aquila Super Colibri to kill rats around the corn crib. It works great and hits about as hard as a low powered 22 springer. I caught a groundhog out once @ about 20yds while I was shooting it and one 20gr bullet to the head dropped him.

The nice thing about the Super Colibri in a rifle is the only sound you hear is the firing pin.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
CCI shot 22lr is the best of the two available here, but you really need to be about 3 feet away for it to be effective. I bought Aquila Super Colibri to kill rats around the corn crib. It works great and hits about as hard as a low powered 22 springer. I caught a groundhog out once @ about 20yds while I was shooting it and one 20gr bullet to the head dropped him.

The nice thing about the Super Colibri in a rifle is the only sound you hear is the firing pin.
Thanks for that ive never heard of it before i hope its available in the UK
Old 03-08-2015, 08:35 PM

I have used the CCI 22lr shot in a S&W revolver to shoot bats out of an attic. The shot would only penetrate about 1/8" into the roofing sheathing (I did test the plywood beforehand). The bats were in the peak along the ridge line, about 10-12 feet up. It killed them just fine, no damage to the roof. I think the CCI capsules uses No. 12 shot. CB caps are still made, but very hard to find. Remington used to make a 40 gr 22lr subsonic that ran about 700fps. Don't know whether it is still being made.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:45 PM

TinMan-I wish you would have sent the bats to Virginia. We have enough bugs here in the summer time for them to be happy campers. I welcome all bats and snakes.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:54 PM

It was 20 years ago, and I normally would give bats a pass also.

I was selling my house and while I was showing around a R.E. lady, a bat buzzed her head whille we were walking around the attic area. She did not see it, but I saw the blur as it went by. I had to get them out and found the entrance/exit point a couple of days later. When they alit to roost, only had to kill two of them. I did not know they were in the house before that incident.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:32 PM

Default 22 LR shot - effective range

I have collected hundreds of birds and rodents with the 22 LR shot cartridge during my mammalogy and ornithology courses in high school and college. These were for museum and school specimen collections. The bulk of the specimens were obtained by trapping or netting, and bats were netted to place aluminum numbered bands on their wings to study distribution.

For Dead-Right-There results with 22 shot, stay within 15 to 25 feet of the animal. Of course, effective range will vary depending on animal species and size.

My favorite gun was a Savage 22 LR/.410 over/under (.22 rifled barrel). Still have it. I have always looked for a used 22LR smoothbore, but have never found one. All of the major manufacturers used to make them and I have heard that Zanders offers new Remington 572 smoothbores for $475.00 - I don't want to pay that amount for a rifle to be used just to satisfy my curiosity as to .22 shot pattern differences between a rifled and smoothbore barrel. Intuitively, one would expect better shot patterns from a smoothbore.

For several ancient decades, there was a .22 shot Mo-Skeet-O "trap target" game offered. Never tried it.

Years ago, a fellow told me he had a .22 smoothbore that with #10 shot, he could kill pigeons at 50 to 60 feet. (???)

The only loads I could find were with #12 shot. I have never tried the CCI encapsulated shot rounds or loads with #10 'rat shot'.

And yes, I had Arizona and Federal collecting permits.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally bennett View Post
Thanks for that ive never heard of it before i hope its available in the UK
Wally, if I'm not badly mistaken, they had a huge explosion and fire at the Aguila factory not too long ago, so whatever is in the system (probably not much) is it for a while. Were I in your moccasins, I'd be looking at a good pellet gun, rifle or pistol. A Benjamin/Sheridan pump type would suit your purpose well.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:17 AM

Wally,

I used some shot in a snub nose revolver in 22LR to shoot rats out of the grain bin at my grandparent's farm. I would say 15 feet was about as far as I had consistent kills. If you are shooting inside of buildings make sure you wear eye protection. I had a few pellets come back and hit me in the face. The pellets didn't break the skin, but they sure did hurt and thankfully none hit me in the eye.

Between my cousin and myself we killed enough rats to fill an area about the length and width of a full size pick-up bed. The shooting was fast and furious and we took turns going into the grain bin. Rats running on the floor, running across the wall, running across the ceiling, they even fell on us as they scattered. I couldn't shoot fast enough to keep up with the chaos of rats running around us. It was as close as you could feel to being in a shoot out with targets in every direction.

Good luck with it. We had fun.

Brian
Old 03-09-2015, 05:48 AM

I reamed a .22lr barrel smooth for a guy once, still have the long reamer, I then honed the thing with a valve guide hone and it made a really nice shot barrel. Larry