Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2008, 12:20 AM
Supporting Member

Default Poor Man's VarTarg? Rechambering a CZ 527 Varmint .204 R to .20 VT

First Thread and post here...I have spent considerable time on other shooting related forums. IE. THR and RFC where I go by the same handle. While I admittedly don't get out and shoot as often as I used to and would like, I really love the small varmint oriented calibers.

Most that know me know that I'm a pretty big fan of Brno's and CZs. I actually now have 7 variations of the CZ 527 and related rifles including just buying my second NIB Walnut 527 Varmint in .204 Ruger. The point of the last one...and the point of this thread is that I want to have it re-chambered for .20 VarTarg.

Since this rifle is NIB I would really like to use it as is and not re-barrel it at this point. (I had considered a Pac Nor barrel but by the time I am done with that, it would be nearly another $600...fair but more than I want to spend when I have a perfectly good barrel in basically the right caliber already.So I have been trying to glean info here and elsewhere about just simply re-chambering it with out re-barreling being as they both shoot the .204 bullet and 1:12 twist seems to work well for both in the lighter bullets. (sub 35 gr).

So...I recently read on another forum regarding simply re-chambering:

Quote:
You would need to remove close to .660" from back of the barrel so the reamer will cut a new neck for the VarTarg. There should be enough shank left for threading...
I understand that is about it; seems pretty simple. Am I missing something? a "gotcha"? What do you all know or think on this relatively simple plan? Have any of you simply re-chambered your CZ's to .20 VarTarg? Is it as simple as above? Did anyone find any "gotcha's"?

I have talked to a couple of gun smiths and they will both charge me about $100 to have it re-chambered; seems fair. Then I'm done and I then have a "Poor man's VarTarg" on a my favored CZ 527 action or more acurately...I'm creating a "Poor man's Cooper" in .20 VarTarg. Best part is it is a CZ, I'm not into it $1200+, and it would be a field repeater and not a single shot bench rifle.

Please lend me your wisdom and expertise as I have never created a custom rifle before.

Thanks in advance!

TOU
Old 05-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Default Look up Greg Tannel...

... and ask him if it's feasible. Then have him do the job!

Alex
Old 05-22-2008, 01:19 AM

Do it you'll love it.
I bought a new 527 in 204 Ruger several years ago and sent it to Kevin Weaver to set back and rechamber to 20-221 Imp. No problems with it what-so-ever. Great shooter and a super barrel.
The CZ is probably the only rifle that I would consider spending $$$ on the factory barrel for a new chamber.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:31 AM
Supporting Member

TOU, I have four CZ 527s that have been rechambered with factory barrels. You have plenty of barrel shank with the varmint barrel. I always like to shoot the rifle as is first. It makes me feel better knowing the action and barrel is capable of good accuracy before I spend the money rechambering. $100 for rechambering is a good deal, go for it. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:40 AM

great idea but I'd be inclined to use the 222 case instead of having all the troubles with only being able to use remington cases for a 221 FB based case.
or trying to form cases down from 222 or 223 brass

20/222 30 degree imp it would be- only a few grains more powder
you'll be able to use a cut down set of 204R dies as well if you do it that way.

just a thought- becasue lotsa people have been bad mouthing the quality of the 221 FB brass

Later
p
Old 05-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Supporting Member

Default Magazine issue?

TOU: feeding a 20 VT from the 204R mag will likely not work, so finding a 221FB mag ($$?) for your CZ will be needed.
Setting back CZ barrels works for lots of us tinkerers

Greg
Old 05-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Supporting Member

Default did the same with a CZ Varmint in 17 Rem {to Mach IV}

The longer cylindrical outer diameter of the varmint contour CZ barrels works great for cutting off chamber ends and rethreading. Worked just great on the same rifle going from 17 Rem to 17 Mach IV. I cut about an inch off the breech end. After it was all done, I was curious about the fact that the rifle seemed to handle better, too. If I had it [sold the rifle] to do again, I think I might try cutting an inch off the muzzle as well. Don't really need 26" for the Mach IV or 20 Vartarg and the Varmint rifle with it's heavier contour felt really great with an even shorter barrel. Normally I don't go for shorter barrels but when you start with 26",,,22" or 24" is not 'short'.
CZ barrels are of high quality and worth the gunsmith work in my experience. However I don't have to lay out cash for my tinkering, just time at the machines.
Let us know how it turns out,,,,OH,,,,my CZ barrel shot better after the rechambering that before when it was a 17 Rem~! GO figure?! I'm guessing a more accurate load COULD have been found for it in 17 Rem origional chambering,,but it sure shot BETTER easily after becoming a Mach IV.
I'm not sure why.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Supporting Member

Default Thanks all,I really appreciate the input...

Just one question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
TOU: feeding a 20 VT from the 204R mag will likely not work, so finding a 221FB mag ($$?) for your CZ will be needed.
Setting back CZ barrels works for lots of us tinkerers

Greg
Hey Greg,

How so? I honestly don't know either way. Realizing the VT/221 FB is maybe shorter or with a spacer at the rear...wouldn't the .221 FB hve different/wider lips also? Anyone know for sure on this?

Last edited by TOU; 05-24-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:49 AM

Default gotta love it

I'm goin' this route, no question about it. I think the CZ is ideal because of the needed magazine already available and a standard production offering.
All of the modifications are really straight forward. I already procured some new 221 brass, but me thinks I will round up some Lake City brass and go that route for the paper, and leave the factory Remington brass for the Coyotes.
I'm right there with you TOU, a .20 Vartarg REPEATER. Single set trigger, 46% less powder from the .204 and only about a 300FPS drop in speed. That is only about an inch more drop at 300 compared to the .204. In my experience shooting beyond 300 gets pretty technical pretty fast anyway, so for the richardson Ground Squirrels we both know and love, it's a "No brainer" (pun intended).
I also rounded up some of those new Barnes 26 grainers to try, the BC is in the dirt, but they should really scream for a little while, probably get the 20VT up over 4,000 easy.
All from a true mini Mauser action, I think Cooper is going to really wish they had run development of the Model 38 into a repeater alongside the 52, I just don't see
a reason to spend the dough on a single shot when I can build TWO repeaters for that same money, and have the accuracy that I instilled in them (lugs, bedding, etc.)
My .204 just sits here doing nothing because it heats up after only about 4 shots, the Vartarg can go for a long time before it ever got hot and does essentially the same thing.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:37 AM

hey, I'm excited. I'm a relative newbie and lurk a lot post little. Good place to learn. BUT, I've found a topic that I have something to add on!! amazing!

I have 2 527s now. a 223 which has the factory varmint barrel fluted and then bedded into a factory walnut sporter stock to make a walk about varminter. I also wanted a 17 mach fireball and decided the CZ was the way to go.

Each calibre has its own specific sized magazine and they are not interchangable. They dont do a spacer, its a smaller mag for a smaller round and magazine housing made to fit.

One of our better gun writers built a M4 on a 223 and was happy with the magazine feeding 90+% of the time. As the 221 is only available here on special order he recommeded using a 222 as the donor for anyone doing the same. I did, the magazine is shorter and though I've only fired 30 rounds they fed well.

If I was in the US going to have one on the 221 case then I would start with a rifle in that calibre for a magazine made to fit.

Now dont discourage the newbie by telling me off for trying to teach my Granny to suck eggs! And I notice you have your 204 already but perhaps this may be useful to others thinking of the same build.