Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Administrator

Default 17AH, N-120 and 27 gr. Golds?

Got an inquiry about using this combo in a Bob Green Micro Hunter A-Bolt 17AH conversion. Has a 1/9 twist.

Anyone have any experience or ideas. Sure would help a new owner (not me, unfortunately) get his stuff together.

Alex
Old 04-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

I have never used this bullet, but the N120 is like magic dust in my 17AH with 25's...or 20's. I only have a 10 twist, but think it would make little difference, in the performance of the powder, only the stabilization of the bullets.

Assuming the powder is new to him, with the varying, (from lot to lot), in the burn rate of N120, I would suggest he start low, and work up...those bullets should be the cat's meow!

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 04-01-2011, 12:07 PM

I would definitely be interested in seeing any responses to this thread. A friend of mine killed several coyotes with 25 gr bullets in his 17 AH. Don't know the load though. Precision shooting.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:45 AM

Default 27 gr golds

Still trying to get teh 27 gr. golds to shoot out of my 17 AH microhunter. Tried them again today with no luck yet. Started with lilgun 9 to 10 gr., bullets are 3 to 5" apart on target and putting egg shape holes in paper.
Tried 10 gr. of n120 today with same results.Shooting 20 gr. vmaxes into dime size hole with no problems. Don't think it's an issue with gun. It is a 9 twist and I have not shot the 25 gr. vmax yet. Haven't shot any heavier bullets to compare to.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:58 AM

Default Magic Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinIA View Post
I have never used this bullet, but the N120 is like magic dust in my 17AH with 25's...or 20's. I only have a 10 twist, but think it would make little difference, in the performance of the powder, only the stabilization of the bullets.

Assuming the powder is new to him, with the varying, (from lot to lot), in the burn rate of N120, I would suggest he start low, and work up...those bullets should be the cat's meow!

Larry
Hi Larry, Got to shoot Prusons reccemmended load of 12.1 gr. of n120 today and it is like "magic dust" with the 20 gr. vmax. I've been shooting lilgun for quite a while. The n120 tightened my groups up nice and barrel cleaned up in half the time. A little pricey and harder to get but worth every penny.

Still working on the 27 grainers ! Not having much luck with them yet.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:22 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

Your gun may not like them. If you have any 25's try them.

I'm not sure what twist is required for 27's, but sounds like your's may not be fast enough, if it is turning them sideways.

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 04-03-2011, 05:41 AM

I had to jump to 12.3 in the winter I was a hair hot in the summer Bob Green 17AH on a Browning throwing 20vmaxs I had 2 rifles that would not shoot Nagles until I seated them 15 to 20 thou off the lands Then they got happy Now I start at the lands if there is no home there I go to 10 off and go 3 thou deeper each group until I find the sweet spot
Old 04-04-2011, 12:40 AM

Lots of good info and advice around here foxpounder.