Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-23-2012, 06:45 PM

Default legal issue

All you hand rollers might know if its legal ( UK) to load ammo for a friend even though i dont have a gun of that calibre ( 223rem ) because once i have loaded 1 i have loaded ammo of a calibre i dont have on my ticket.
The primers/powder/bullets i have left over from other guns i owned and loaded for but cases are from the gun i could be loading for.
Wally
Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally bennett View Post
All you hand rollers might know if its legal ( UK) to load ammo for a friend even though i dont have a gun of that calibre ( 223rem ) because once i have loaded 1 i have loaded ammo of a calibre i dont have on my ticket.
The primers/powder/bullets i have left over from other guns i owned and loaded for but cases are from the gun i could be loading for.
Wally
Wally its a bit of a minefiled depending on where you live as the police seem to make the rules up on the hoof. Probably the best thing would be to ask your FEO for clarification, or if you are a member of BASC drop them an email.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 PM

Every now and then it is good to be reminded why we had to kick the British out of this country. Sorry you have so much trouble with things that we do not even have to think about here. Larry
Old 04-23-2012, 07:16 PM

Sounds dodgy to me Wally. You'd be in possession of ammo without authorization on your FAC.
Ken.

Last edited by kenbro; 04-23-2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-23-2012, 07:36 PM

Wally, if your friend is in attendence while you reload for him it is perfectly legal. I know as I enquired recently with the same idea in mind. I'm in Dorset by the way.

And it doesn't actually become a loaded round until you seat the bullet, so technically you could get as far as that point and then your friend comes around to seat the bullets. Maybe check with your FLO/FEO, best to safe.

Steve
Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Wally
It might be legal over there but here it will get you a spell inside, loss of ticket, confiscation of weapons etc etc.

Having parts and dies to make 223 rounds is not illegal though, mind you if you dont have a 22 on ticket of any sort then possession of bullets in that caliber is (I think) an offence.

Another issue is that if his gun blows up if he survives he will come looking for you armed with a posse of no win no fee lawyers.

Suggest you have your friend on hand at show him hands on how to load his own, either that or get insured and do it commercially with an RFD ticket.

A
Old 04-23-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT17 View Post
Wally its a bit of a minefiled depending on where you live as the police seem to make the rules up on the hoof. Probably the best thing would be to ask your FEO for clarification, or if you are a member of BASC drop them an email.
Dont get them involved for gawds sake, they will be down on you like a ton of bricks if they smell something dodgy. BASC would be a much much better idea, they are on our side !!.

A
Old 04-24-2012, 09:03 AM

Thanks lads both side of the pond i will E/Mail BASC ( member for over 40yrs )and ask their opinion.
If i have to i will apply for a 223Rem of my own but not get a gun just so i can legaly have the ammo in my possesion
Wally
Old 04-24-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks lads both side of the pond i will E/Mail BASC ( member for over 40yrs )and ask their opinion.
If i have to i will apply for a 223Rem of my own but not get a gun just so i can legaly have the ammo in my possesion
Wally
I have phoned BASC and as you all said its ilegal to hold ammo for a 223rem if i dolnt have one on my ticket unless Henry is with me at the time so i am trying to get hold of my FAC Dept manager to ask the question can i have 223rem ammo on my ticket without buying a gun imediatly as in the near future i will need a 223rem for Roe in scotland. I have held a couple of 222rem and a couple of 243win before so should not have any problems with sutible land.

Wally
Old 04-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Another update on 223rem re-loading.
I managed to get someone at last in the FAC Dept who fritened me by tellng me i should not be re-loading at all because it was not on my ticket and i needed authorisation to both buy the componants and to re-load them.
When i told her i had been re-loading for over 30years and no one had told me about it or any of my friends nor any gunshop i had bought componants from had mentioned it so i asked her kindly to check it out with the chap who told her about it ( less than a week ago in response to annother query).
She phoned me back later apolagizing for the duff info and said i was quite in order and she had been miss-informed,
Thank god i was expecting a bloody big PC to cart me off to jail for home loading but i would have met all my friends in jail so i would have had some company.
She advised me that as i was expecting to buy a 223rem at a later date ( honest )i should apply for a variation to buy a gun and hold 223rem ammo

Wally