Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-27-2022, 02:33 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks. Just saw the similarities but don't have either handy.
Old 02-28-2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
SmokinJoe,
You're the guy I want to talk to. Have you ever compared the bolts between the Zastava and CZ, or with the actions out of the stock compared the bottom of the receivers-distance between the action screws, magazine cutout, recoil lug location, etc? I'm trying to figure out if the 527 is based on a modified Zastava. I started wondering looking at Pac-Nor's (?) site and they have pre threaded & chambered barrels for the 527 and Zastava Mini. Who puts the money into a Mini? So I thought to ask.
Thanks.
The CZ527 action is really just a modified version of the older Brno ZKW465 action from the 1940's. The ZKW465 action evolved some time in the 70's into the Brno Fox, which was available in 22HT and 222Rem. It then further evolved into the Fox Mod 2, firstly in 22HT and later again in 222Rem. The 90's saw it further evolve into its modern configuration.

The Zastava Mini Mauser came out in the early 80's, chambered in 223Rem, and has changed little in the following years, except for chambering being expanded. The names Charles Daly, Rem799, and a couple of others were really just marketing names by different companies using the same basic rifle.

In my opinion, the only comparison you can make between the CZ527 and the Zastava M85 Mini Mauser, is that they are a true short action for short cartridges. Bolts are completely different, receivers are totally different, triggers are totally diffferent, and so on. The CZ527 is probably closer to a genuine Mauser type action than the Zastava, the Zastava M85 bolt is pure Mauser on the rear, but it is crossed with a Sako L46 body, extractor and bolt guide.

Really they are cheese and chalk, both have good points, and both have their faults.

The Howa Mini has nothing to do with being in a Mauser class, except for the twin locking lugs on the front of the bolt. Calling it a Mauser is a travisty.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:31 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camel View Post
The CZ527 action is really just a modified version of the older Brno ZKW465 action from the 1940's. The ZKW465 action evolved some time in the 70's into the Brno Fox, which was available in 22HT and 222Rem. It then further evolved into the Fox Mod 2, firstly in 22HT and later again in 222Rem. The 90's saw it further evolve into its modern configuration.

The Zastava Mini Mauser came out in the early 80's, chambered in 223Rem, and has changed little in the following years, except for chambering being expanded. The names Charles Daly, Rem799, and a couple of others were really just marketing names by different companies using the same basic rifle.

In my opinion, the only comparison you can make between the CZ527 and the Zastava M85 Mini Mauser, is that they are a true short action for short cartridges. Bolts are completely different, receivers are totally different, triggers are totally diffferent, and so on. The CZ527 is probably closer to a genuine Mauser type action than the Zastava, the Zastava M85 bolt is pure Mauser on the rear, but it is crossed with a Sako L46 body, extractor and bolt guide.

Really they are cheese and chalk, both have good points, and both have their faults.

The Howa Mini has nothing to do with being in a Mauser class, except for the twin locking lugs on the front of the bolt. Calling it a Mauser is a travisty.
Great post camel.........

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-01-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camel View Post

Owning both, that's a very good synopsis of the actions.

The Interarms/Charles Daly/Zastava Mini Mark X is a virtual copy of the little Sako L46 action, with the exception of the bolt shroud area. I've done quite a bit of work on mine and know their quirks quite well. Bought as a 'beater' for a few bucks from a local gun shop.... after stress free pillar bedding, tweaking the action a bit and improving the bolt/raceway fit and doing a stress free scope mounting setup (extremely important with these), it now shoots honest 1/2" 3 shot groups with the Nosler 40BTip and Benchmark/8208 @ 3,550-3,600, which was my goal when I started on it.

The wood stock was pretty beat so I slimmed the grip area and did a epoxy paint and web finish on the stock topped with a matte finished solvent resistant clear coat.

The throat is so long that nothing touches the lands, the barrel is rough as a corn cob inside and the bolt operation takes a bit of getting used to. But it's light, accurate and has about as much recoil as a flea bite.

Since this pic, I've changed the scope rings to some vintage Bushnell ultra lights that slim look a bit.

As for the CZ centerfires, there's a lot of love here for them but I'm not in that camp..... Love my CZ rimfire, though!

Good shootin' -Al

Last edited by Al Nyhus; 03-01-2022 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:27 PM
Supporting Member

Did not know the similarity to the Sako-or my pencil barreled .222 Safari grade. And I do love my 452 Trainer.
Thanks again.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:37 PM

Well my CZ's and Howa's all have somewhat simular features, but it matters not too me.
I like and enjoy shooting each and everyone of them in the various calibers I have them in.
Each has a purpose, are accurate and suit my just fine.
That includes the centerfire and rimfire model of each brand/maker that I have.
Old 03-01-2022, 05:20 PM

I'm will Bill - I like to shoot anything...

One of my favorite CZ's is a CZ452-CZ455 in an Ultra Lux. My range has a great setup with steel silhouettes. Nice blue bird day shootings Noah's Steel Arc (chickens, pigs, turkey, and rams) from 40 yards to 100 yards with a kid... smile that doesn't go away.
Old 03-14-2022, 03:59 AM

Camel is spot on, I was at the range yesterday with a buddy and he brought out his Zastava .22 hornet, while I was shooting a CZ 527 that I recently barreled and chambered to 6mmGrendel. Two very different rifles, though both have their merits, one of which was that the little rifles could be had at a relatively reasonable price point for what you got. I have been a huge fan of the CZ 527 and done many, many builds both for myself and others on this action, and am Incredibly sorry to hear that CZ has discontinued the 527 line. I just don't understand why they, CZ, would cancel what has to be a decent seller which is factory chambered in some really neat little cartridges like the hornets and .221 fireball, all the components of which made for easy transition to a custom chambering like .20 Vartarg or K hornets etc.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:26 PM

Wow. Another 6mm Grendel owner on the form.
Old 03-14-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Well my CZ's and Howa's all have somewhat simular features, but it matters not too me.
I like and enjoy shooting each and everyone of them in the various calibers I have them in.
Each has a purpose, are accurate and suit my just fine.
That includes the centerfire and rimfire model of each brand/maker that I have.
I think that I might be the only person on the planet that has no feeding issues with the Howa, mine being .222. I watched a Screwtube before I got mine and the guy said if you don't feed the round from the front of the magazine, you will spread the magazine and have issues feeding. I have loaded that way, and have never had any issues feeding, no matter how fast I cycle the bolt. If I had my say, all short actions with detachable mags would be compatible with AR mags, but alas, they don't listen to me! I handled a mini mauser back when they were being dumped, and the ones the LGS had, were horribly machined, so I passed.