Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2022, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
My Lyman goes down to about 1/8" at the tip, but don't know of any 17cal specific deburring tool.
That’s the one I use as well.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:24 PM
Supporting Member

About 20 years ago I had a chamfering deburring tool I bought for Midway Usa that worked well but it would grind up my thumb and finger tips when deburring. So I just ground down the tips on the deburring end, it has worked great.
But I switched to a VLD chamfering tool that looks like it is nothing more than a bur bit for my die grinder that might even fit into a 14 caliber case.

On my motorized unit I use a four blade Hornady chamfer tool does a very awesome job! But I can’t remember if I use it on 17 caliber not… It’s been a while lol

Last edited by GLWenzl; 03-01-2022 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:39 PM

Countersink bits work just fine on 17s for inside deburring. Just go easy on the pressure, some of them are pretty sharp and will sharpen the case mouth instead of just take the burr off.

I grab the shank in a pin vise instead of turning them with a drill motor. I've seen other guys epoxy them in a piece of broom stick.

If you have a tool that does OK on the outside, but not the inside, then for $5 or so at Home Depot you are covered.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:16 PM

If you check, you will also find that there about three levels of angle/cut on hand held deburring/camfering tools.
My RCBS/Wilson is 45degree, but there also is one that is around 28, which may work easier for some.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:36 PM

The inside chamfer tool on my RCBS Brass Boss prep center has a very long taper but I don't think it comes to any smaller point than does my handheld Lyman VLD chamfer tool.

When doing hundreds of cases at one sitting the prep center machines, like the one from RCBS, makes quick work of neck chamfering, inside and out, as well as cleaning primer pockets.
Old 03-02-2022, 02:58 AM

K&M has a great adjustable depth case chamfer tool that works really nicely and is adjustable from .17cal - 6mm. It is inexpensive, yet worth owning. There is also a video that you'll find linked on the product page.

https://kmshooting.com/product/case-neck-chamfer-tools/