Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-21-2012, 01:48 AM

Default Anschutz 1700 22 Hornet to 17HH

I was thinking of converting an Anschutz 1700 Hornet to the 17HH. Does anybody see any issues with this concept (other than destorying an origional Anschutz 22 Hornet). I presume I should be able to feed from the magazine?

Nesika
Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Supporting Member

If you are okay with turning a $1400 gun into a $600 gun, after spending $500 on the conversion, then yes it will work and feed just fine. Me, I would sell the Annie, buy a CZ or Browning Hornet, and the difference would pay for the conversion. Heck, you could sell the Annie and buy a Cooper already done up, except it is single shot. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:37 PM

Default Anschutz conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you are okay with turning a $1400 gun into a $600 gun, after spending $500 on the conversion, then yes it will work and feed just fine. Me, I would sell the Annie, buy a CZ or Browning Hornet, and the difference would pay for the conversion. Heck, you could sell the Annie and buy a Cooper already done up, except it is single shot. Just my 2 cents.
I have thought of the same thing, but just can't swallow altering my annie 1730 heavy barrel that is a real tack driver.

I had a 17 AH, cooper. Nice rifle. I am in a small minority, but I did not think it was the greatest cartridge. I sold it. I need a little more speed and have really taken a liking to the 17 FB.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Supporting Member

Default Don't do it

yes it will feed with a little work, there are just better ways to waste your money. Here's mine, 1432 Annie with a Lothar Walther barrel chambered in 17AH, paid $700 for it off Auction Arms When you get 1400.00+350.00 barrel+350.00 labor=$2,100.00 there will always be someone like me willing to pay $700.00 for it It's just bad math.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 06-21-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Supporting Member

I like that math Chuck

would love to find me one just like it and dont have to be a HH 17AH is A OK to me

Matt
Old 06-21-2012, 07:57 PM

I think having a little Anschutz 54 sporter in a 17 centerfire would be quite the unique piece. Anschutz is hard to come by now pricewise, but they seem to be always around, so it is replaceable really.

Rifles to me is a passion; not a financial thing. If I wanted something built on whatever, I would simply do it and have no worries. I have learned to do my own metal/wood work now. Whether the rifle is factory or altered, the price is the same on the open market. I do tend to keep things for life, so somewhat of a dinosaur in that respect.

I suspect you do your own work, so if you take it apart, it can be put back together; not sure why not, other than barrel tapers.

Rebarreling is a flip of the wrist if you do your own work and procure your own blank. Money that I spend on barrel blanks, rifles, reamers, is not in the basic equasion of life, gotta be something that exists that is not tied to money, gun stuff is my escape.

One would think that the newer, more tapered(shouldered) 17HH would flow more easily thru magazines or the big companies would not have come to bear on the new case. They sell repeaters to the masses.

I seem to remember a guy in West Virginia(?) in the Small Caliber News that had a 17 Ackley on a 54 old type sporter, he thought it was the cats. It was even engraved for his tastes.

It might turn out to be a favorite that you keep for life, money cannot measure that pleasure. If not, it can always be put back together.

Rick W.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Supporting Member

Default If you do it

make sure you really want to do it(does that make sense). The Annie 54 action is a pinned action so you'll have to thread the action, effectively destroying any resale value. I had actually thought about putting an original 22 Hornet barrel back on it at one time, then I woke up I think there are just better platforms for the 17AH or HH version. I know Crowmag did a 17Mink on a 54 Annie and he's a smith so he can really discuss the pro's and cons of this conversion and can even do it for you.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Supporting Member

Vicious rumors, gossip and hearsay abound with word that Anschutz just might jump into this fray with a factory chambered .17 Hornady Hornet.
As to feeding. I just so happen to have a case of the .17 Hornady Hornet ammo on hand. As luck would have it I also have a model 54 1730 Meister Grade (.22 Hornet), that has said magazine. For the sake of argument and because the feeding question piqued my interest due to those vicious rumors, gossip and hearsay , I just tried the ammo in the magazine. It not only fits and feeds but unless some lawyer type were to add a spacer to foil the handloaders it allows a lot of excess room in the magazine to seat the bullets out a ways to get closer to what will undoubtedly be a giraffe like throat.
For what it's worth it also fits in a CZ .22 Hornet magazine. That would be the CZ that says it is releasing their rifles in this chambering (supposedly) by the end of the year. That too would be the same CZ that will probably sell over the counter in the $600.00ish range. The CZ you could set the barrel back on and re-ream with a better reamer design with less free-bore etc and still be in the whole rifle a lot less than the used, unbutchered Anschutz would still be worth ten years from now if left in original condition.
Perhaps I'm just a bit sensitive to this idea due to the fact that I've been using this guy for some heavy gopher smuckage about three times in the last week . If the rats er within 250 to 275ish yards they are Magpie food .

Last edited by montdoug; 06-21-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Supporting Member

Nice club attached to that metal sir.

Matt
Old 06-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Supporting Member

LOL Just knew you were going to take a kickin on that mate

Johno